Evidence shows no attack against Philippine Senate – Department of Interior and Local Government


Journalists and Senate personnel scrambled inside the Senate building on Wednesday night after gunshots erupted in the building. - Photo: Inquirer

MANILA: “All evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate.”

This was what Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla said on Tuesday (May 19), six days after a “gun-related incident” shook the Senate.

During a Palace briefing, Remulla maintained that no agents from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) set foot at the Senate on May 13, and that they were only at the premises of the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), beside the legislative chamber.

“For the record, all evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate. I would like to repeat – all evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate,” he declared.

The Senate building sits adjacent to the GSIS building, both of which are inside the GSIS complex.

Why were there NBI agents at GSIS?

Remulla explained that GSIS President and General Manager Wick Veloso sought help of the NBI to “fortify” the security at the GSIS premises after Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa asked his supporters to stage a prayer vigil at the Senate.

The request was made by Veloso to protect billions of pesos worth of artworks and other valuables housed at the GSIS, in case tensions escalated in the nearby Senate.

“The GSIS contains billions of pesos of worth of artworks that are displayed on their walls. Had there been an overflow of people going to GSIS, the losses would have been incredible,” the secretary said.

“So, he [Veloso] found it better for them to secure the doors so that there would be no commotion going inside to the GSIS building,” he narrated.

As to why Veloso sought assistance from the NBI instead of the PNP, Remulla said police personnel were already guarding the Senate, and Veloso believed it would be more prudent to request help from the NBI.

The secretary said 29 NBI agents arrived at the GSIS premises.

“Please take note that none of the NBI agents had tactical gear with them. They were dressed as NBI agents clearly identified, set in place, but none of them had tactical gear with them,” Remulla pointed out, referring to footage from Closed-Circuit Television presented during the briefing.

27 NBI agents left the GSIS premises at 7.02pm, while two remained behind.

Remulla said that around 7.44pm, Acting Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca called in Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms operatives, including the PNP and Marines, and “gave the order to lock and load,” an idiomatic term used so that guns would be prepared for firing.

“So, in his order, you could see the marines cocking their guns, so they were locked and loaded. After [that], he proceeded to the hallway leading to the doorway where the NBI [agents] were previously,” he narrated.

From 7.46pm to 7.49pm, “clouds of smoke and possible muzzle fire” were seen in CCTV footage during the confrontation between NBI agents and Senate security personnel. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Taiwanese singer Landy Wen in ICU due to septic shock
Hong Kong records 10 tremor reports after magnitude 5.2 quake hits Guangxi
Jail for third man involved in death of ship crew member who was given unsafe breathing mask
Crown Prince Akishino inspects elephant being cared for at zoo in Japan’s Chiba Prefecture
China will buy at least US$17 billion of US farm goods annually, White House says
Flight SQ321: Radar failed to detect weather likely behind severe turbulence, say investigators
New Malaysian passport to be issued from June 1, features 94 security elements
Pakistan court sentences man to death for killing teen influencer
Indonesia reaffirms no US overflight commitment
Ringgit ends higher against most major currencies, weaker versus US dollar

Others Also Read