Indonesia reaffirms no US overflight commitment


Indonesia's Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin leaving the chamber after attending a meeting with Commission I of the House of Representatives at the Parliament Complex in Jakarta on Tuesday (May 19, 2026). - Photo: Antara

JAKARTA: (Bernama) Indonesia has not made any commitment with the United States (US) regarding overflight access through Indonesian airspace,  according to the republic’s Defence Minister Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin on Tuesday (May 19).

He said both sides had only signed a letter of intent on overflight clearance during his visit to the US last month, stressing that the document was not a binding commitment and did not affect Indonesia’s sovereignty or national interests.

"This is a letter of intent, not a letter of commitment. Therefore, we have not made any commitment whatsoever with the US regarding airspace, no.

"We safeguard the constitution and protect our national interests,” he said, during a working meeting with Commission I of the House of Representatives (DPR RI), the parliamentary commission overseeing defence, foreign affairs, intelligence, and communications.

According to Antara News Agency, Sjafrie said the letter of intent emphasised respect for territorial integrity and sovereignty, as well as mechanisms and standing operating procedures in accordance with the laws of both countries.

He told lawmakers that the issue was first raised by US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth during a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the Asean Defence Ministers’ Meeting (ADMM) Plus 2025.

According to the minister, Hegseth had asked whether US aircraft could transit Indonesian territory for urgent purposes while complying with Indonesian regulations.

Sjafrie said he informed Hegseth that he would first report the matter to Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, whom he described as the supreme commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI).

He also said Hegseth later sent officials to Indonesia in February this year to deliver a proposal letter related to overflight access, and invited him to the US for further discussions on the matter.

"To discuss it, not to decide it.

"Finally, last month, I went to the US, and we signed a letter of intent, not a commitment,” he said.

The minister also disclosed that the US had requested Indonesia’s assistance in locating and repatriating the remains of American soldiers who died during World War II on Morotai Island in North Maluku.

Sjafrie said Indonesia remained committed to safeguarding its constitution and national interests in all defence cooperation.

He said the clarification was made following public discussions surrounding overflight issues, after Indonesia and the US signed the Major Defence Cooperation Partnership (MDCP) agreement in April 2026. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Ringgit ends higher against most major currencies, weaker versus US dollar
Ringgit ends firmer vs major currencies, eases against greenback
Beijing says China, US should work together to promote AI governance
Over 19,000 illegal immigrants deported in 2026
GSF2.0: 25 Malaysians among those detained by Israeli military
Why is anti-India racism on the rise in Taiwan? Political candidate promises to ban Indian workers
Duo remanded over misuse of public funds totalling RM800,000
Govt hopes opposition MPs will support bill to limit PM’s tenure
State Railway of Thailand says Makkasan rider entered rail zone before being grazed by train
EPF’s 1Q investment income jumps 51% to RM27.73bil

Others Also Read