Brunei proposes to ban cycling on highways, plans for designated lanes unveiled


BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN: The National Road Safety Council (MKKJR) has come up with short-term plans and a proposal including introducing a ban on cycling on all highways and main roads with speed limits of over 65km per hour, as well as introducing designated cycling lanes in each district and updating cycling guidelines.

The plan to ban cycling on all highways and major roads with speed limits exceeding 65km/hr was shared by Transport and Infocommunications Minister Dato Seri Setia Shamhary Mustapha on the 10th day of the First Meeting of the 22nd Session of the Legislative Council (LegCo) on Thursday (March 26).

On the medium-term proposal, he highlighted “includes the installation of road signage for prohibited routes and designated cycling lanes”.

He added, “Amendments to legislation concerning the ban of cycling and the strengthening of laws related to traffic offences will also be carried out.”

Long-term proposals, he said “included the development of designated cycling lanes, which will also be integrated of local development plans that take into account cycling routes and the need for connected active mobility”.

In this regard, to implement the ban as mentioned by LegCo member Isa Aliuddin, the amendments under the Road Traffic (Bicycles) Regulations, Road Traffic Act, Chapter 68, will be carried out.

The roads where cycling is expected to be prohibited include the Muara–Belait Highway, Tungku Highway, Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Highway, Rimba Highway, Pengiran Muda Al-Muhtadee Billah Highway, Tungku–Jerudong Highway, as well as Jalan Utama Mentiri, Jalan Kebangsaan, Jalan Utama Berakas, Jalan Junjongan, Jalan Labu–Puni, Jalan Penghubung Tanah Jambu, and Jalan Rasau.

In relation to the proposed network of routes as alternatives for cycling activities, he said, “MKKJR has collaborated with the Brunei Cycling Federation and has identified several route networks specifically for sports cycling activities.”

In Brunei-Muara District, he said, “The proposed routes include the Stadium route, which will be open daily; routes along Jalan Perdana Menteri, Jalan Ong Sum Ping, and Jalan Kebangsaan, as well as Jalan Menteri Besar, to be implemented on every Wednesday night as a pilot project. The Bandarku Ceria cycling network is also proposed to be expanded.”

In Tutong district, he explained, “The identified route is around the Bukit Bendera area. In Belait district, the routes include those leading to Kargu Dam and Jalan Labi starting from the Biodiversity Centre at Teraja. In Temburong district, the identified route is Jalan Pekan Bangar.

“At the same time, as previously shared regarding road user behaviour, as also mentioned by Isa. MKKJR has introduced the Road Safety Action Plan 2030, which has five main objectives.“

He outlined, “These include achieving a 50 per cent reduction in road accidents by 2030, a 50 per cent reduction in fatalities due to road accidents by 2030, and ensuring that 80 per cent of major roads are safer, with a three-star safety rating by 2030. For your information, the three-star rating does not only assess road infrastructure but also considers driver behaviour on those roads.”

Finally, he said, “Road safety campaigns will continue and will be further strengthened alongside amendments to legislation and efforts to raise public awareness through safety campaigns.” – Borneo Bulletin/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Brunei , highways , cycling , ban , lanes

Next In Aseanplus News

JDT lift sixth Malaysia Cup with 2-0 win over Kuching City
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Former Hong Kong top scorer Mung Chiang to lead prestigious Northwestern University
China inventor creates sword-shaped aerial vehicle, bringing flying sword in fantasy novels to life
China is replacing Middle East oil with Xinjiang coal. What does it mean for the world?
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (May 23, 2026)
WHO says new hantavirus case among the Hondius ship's crew
'All gone dark' - Bad weather triggers major blackout issues across Indonesia's Sumatra, confirms top official
Thailand confirms it will tighten Ebola screening for travellers from high-risk areas
Rubio renews ties with India after Trump's China lovefest

Others Also Read