Tropical cyclone Fina strikes Australia's Northern Territory, shuts airport


FILE PHOTO: A man carrying an umbrella walks past the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia, November 21, 2025. - Reuters

SYDNEY: The Australian city of Darwin's international airport remained shuttered on Sunday (Nov 23) after a tropical cyclone brought destructive winds to the Northern Territory capital overnight.

Fina, a category three cyclone, was on Sunday clocking wind gusts of up to 205kph as it moved away from Northern Territory capital Darwin after passing the city late on Saturday as a "severe tropical cyclone", the nation's Bureau of Meteorology said.

For residents of Darwin, population of around 140,000, Fina conjured painful memories of Cyclone Tracy, which wiped out much of the city on Christmas Day 1974, killing 66 people, in what was one of Australia's worst natural disasters.

Darwin International Airport, which closed on Saturday as a precaution over Fina, said on Sunday it was "working to re-establish operations as soon as it is safe to do so".

"Strong prevailing winds and heavy rain continue," the airport said in a cyclone alert on its Facebook page.

Authorities on Sunday morning urged Darwin residents to stay clear of downed powerlines across the city. "Now is not the time to be sightseeing," emergency agency SecureNT said on its Facebook page.

Government-owned Power and Water Corporation said it was not yet able to estimate how many people were without power, with crews starting damage assessments on Sunday morning.

Several homes and infrastructure in the region had been damaged by the cyclone but no-one was seriously injured, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

Category three tropical cyclones, two levels below the highest danger rating, typically damage structures, crops and trees and cause power failures, according to the weather bureau.

In March, ex-tropical cyclone Alfred hit neighbouring Queensland, closing schools and leaving hundreds of thousands of people without power. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Lightning advance: swathes of Hanoi demolished for development
Six Malaysian inmates transferred to Malaysia in 2025: Brunei Minister
Cambodian authorities raid two riverside 'adult entertainment' bars, rescue 35 victims, detain one suspect
Laos repatriates Thai gambling suspects
Myanmar experts warn of possible super El Ni�o this year, raising concerns over drought conditions
Lack of clues slowing probe into brutal elephant killing, says Sabah state minister
Vietnam President pledges favourable conditions for US tech firms to invest
Twenty-six rescued after Angeles City building collapses in the Philippines
Thai public groups demand energy price overhaul within seven days
Indonesia presses ahead with giant sea wall project along Java coast

Others Also Read