Support on the way after Australia's Darwin hit by Tropical Cyclone Fina


CANBERRA: The Australian government said on Sunday (Nov 23) that it is ready to support the Northern Territory (NT) after Tropical Cyclone Fina hit the city of Darwin on Saturday night.

Kristy McBain, Australia's minister for emergency management, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Sunday that the federal government was working with the NT government to provide support, including any requests for funding from the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.

The Bureau of Meteorology on Sunday morning downgraded its warning for Darwin, the Tiwi Islands and surrounding areas as the cyclone moved south-west over the southern Timor Sea.

The cyclone caused damage to buildings and power outages across the city, but as of Sunday morning, there had been no reported injuries, local media said.

The bureau said that Fina is forecast to remain a severe tropical cyclone during Sunday as it moves southwest, through the southern Timor Sea. It will start weakening on Monday as it nears the north of the northern coast of Western Australia. - Xinhua

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Narathiwat imposes curfew after multiple bomb and arson attacks
Teacher hiring plan raises regional autonomy concerns
As bicycle accidents hit four-year high, cyclists call for greater mutual respect among road users
Businessman claims trial to assaulting foreign woman at KL club
Malaysia, Pakistan share diplomatic experiences in resolving conflicts
Seven areas in Malaysia record unhealthy API readings as of 9am
Govt under fire over Imran’s care
Experts: EPF still on track to deliver 6% dividend
M’sia calls for greater Asean vigilance over haze threat
Cops probe bullying link in female student’s death

Others Also Read