Three new cases of fake bulk orders from individuals impersonating Mindef, SAF personnel in Singapore


The Ministry of Defence said the cases involve the use of falsified procurement orders purportedly from the ministry or the SAF. - Photo: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE/Facebook

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Defence (Mindef) said it has been alerted to three new cases of suspected fake bulk orders by individuals pretending to be from the ministry or the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).

In a Facebook post on Tuesday (Sept 23), the ministry said the cases involved the use of falsified procurement orders purportedly from Mindef or the SAF.

Previous cases largely involved orders made through phone calls to businesses.

“We urge the public and all businesses to stay vigilant and report any suspicious activities to the police,” it said.

This comes on the back of reports of fake bulk orders in recent weeks, where perpetrators have pretended to be Mindef officials or school representatives.

Eateries and a florist were among the businesses targeted. Those who fell victim reported preparing orders worth more than S$1,000, but the orders were never collected.

On Sept 14, Mindef warned the public about fraudulent bulk orders made by individuals claiming to be Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) personnel.

It said that it had been made aware of seven such cases and has not found any evidence that the individuals involved are affiliated with the SAF.

The ministry added that it has lodged police reports regarding the matter.

Six suspects linked to such scams have since been arrested.

Three suspects aged between 16 and 31 were nabbed on Sept 16, the first arrests made after a rash of fake bulk orders came to light.

Three days later, police announced that three more people - two men and a woman aged between 17 and 28 - have been arrested.

On Sept 17, a Sri Lankan woman was charged over her alleged links to fake bulk order scams. - The Straits Times/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Thursday (May 21, 2026)
Vietnam mandates health declarations for travellers from July 1
Boat captains suspected of letting students steer vessels before fatal capsizing in Okinawa
Korean coach Kim Pan-Gon is sure his Selangor FC side will fight on after bitter loss to Buriram United
Thai fruit exports surge 56% in first quarter as Commerce Ministry drives aggressive global campaigns
Indonesia, Malaysia have approved asset transfers to new Eni-PETRONAS JV, PETRONAS exec says
HK actor Sean Lau secretly photographed on train, amusing response wins over netizens
India wants return of stranded ships before sending more to Gulf
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
Indonesian-Malaysian cross-cultural festival Latihan Pestapora Malaysia returns to Bukit Jalil with another exciting line-up

Others Also Read