MANILA: Malacañang has yet to issue a directive regarding the country’s bid to rejoin the International Criminal Court (ICC), but discussions among agencies involved have transpired, Secretary of Foreign Affairs Sec. Ma. Theresa Lazaro said on Monday (July 14).
Speaking to reporters at a press conference, Lazaro repeatedly clarified that there are no ongoing efforts to rejoin the ICC.
“There’s no movement as far as cascading to the Department of Foreign Affairs, I’m sure there had been discussions with other agencies like the Department of Justice,” said Lazaro.
In June, President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said he was open to discussions on the Philippines rejoining the ICC.
On March 17, 2018, then President Rodrigo Duterte formally withdrew from the Rome Statute – the treaty that established the ICC.
Despite the withdrawal, the ICC retained jurisdiction over alleged crimes committed in the Philippines between November 1, 2011 to March 16, 2019, covering the period when the country was still a member.
The ICC currently has custody of Duterte, who was arrested on March 12 and sent to The Hague for crimes against humanity he allegedly committed during his administration’s bloody war against drugs, which left at least 6,000 people dead. Human rights groups are reporting the toll could be as high as 20,000. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN
