Indonesia revokes nickel ore mining permits in Raja Ampat after protest


Protests against mining in Raja Ampat, a picturesque Unesco-designated Global Geopark known for its marine biodiversity, dominated Indonesian social media last week, with users sharing a graphic of the area's blue waters with the hashtag #SaveRajaAmpat. - AFP

JAKARTA: Top nickel ore producer Indonesia revoked permits for four mining firms in Raja Ampat in its easternmost region of Papua, the country's energy minister said on Tuesday (June 10), after concerns about their environmental impact sparked a public outcry.

Protests against mining in Raja Ampat, a picturesque Unesco-designated Global Geopark known for its marine biodiversity, dominated Indonesian social media last week, with users sharing a graphic of the area's blue waters with the hashtag #SaveRajaAmpat.

Bahlil Lahadalia, Indonesia's energy minister, said President Prabowo Subianto decided to revoke the permits of the four nickel companies in the area starting on Tuesday in order to protect the surrounding environment from further damage.

"We need to protect these areas by paying attention to marine life and conservation," he said.

The nickel companies are PT Nurham, PT Kawei Sejahtera Mining, PT Anugerah Surya Pratama, PT Mulia Raymond Perkasa, which operate on islands in and around Raja Ampat.

The government did not grant quotas to the four companies as they failed to meet administrative requirements, Bahlil said, meaning they are currently not in production.

However the permit of another nickel miner, PT Gag Nikel, a subsidiary of state miner Aneka Tambang (Antam), was not revoked as the company operates outside the designated geopark, Bahlil said.

Gag Nikel, the only company in the area in production, has a quota to mine 3 million metric tonnes a year. Last week, Indonesia's energy ministry temporarily halted the firm's mining activities following the protests.

The energy ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday on whether that suspension had been lifted.

Bahlil said the government would monitor its activities "exhaustively", including its regulatory practices.

Antam said last week Gag Nikel had replanted forests and conserved coral reefs.

PT Wanxiang Nickel Indonesia, the parent company of Anugerah Surya Pratama, Gag Nikel, and Kawei Sejahtera Mining did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Tuesday. Reuters could not immediately reach Nurham and Mulia Raymond Perkasa for comment.

The controversy flared up last week when Greenpeace activists staged a small demonstration at a mineral conference in Jakarta, citing mining activity around Raja Ampat.

Mining caused the destruction of more than 500 hectares of forest and native vegetation, as well as damaging coral reefs and marine ecosystems on some islands, Greenpeace said later in a statement. - Reuters

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Indonesia , Raja Ampat , nickel , mining , suspension

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Thursday (May 21, 2026)
Vietnam mandates health declarations for travellers from July 1
Boat captains suspected of letting students steer vessels before fatal capsizing in Okinawa
Korean coach Kim Pan-Gon is sure his Selangor FC side will fight on after bitter loss to Buriram United
Thai fruit exports surge 56% in first quarter as Commerce Ministry drives aggressive global campaigns
Indonesia, Malaysia have approved asset transfers to new Eni-PETRONAS JV, PETRONAS exec says
HK actor Sean Lau secretly photographed on train, amusing response wins over netizens
India wants return of stranded ships before sending more to Gulf
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
Indonesian-Malaysian cross-cultural festival Latihan Pestapora Malaysia returns to Bukit Jalil with another exciting line-up

Others Also Read