Pramono to introduce free breakfast in Jakarta’s schools


Then Jakarta gubernatorial candidate Pramono Anung (left) and his running mate Rano Karno (right) pose after a press briefing in Cipete, South Jakarta on Nov. 28, 2024. - Antara via The Jakarta Post/ANN

JAKARTA: Jakarta governor-elect Pramono Anung plans to implement a free breakfast programme for students across the city, his transition team has said, adding that school canteen vendors, as well as small and medium enterprises (SMEs), will participate in the programme.

The team’s coordinator Chico Hakim gave an assurance that Pramono’s programme differed from President Prabowo’s flagship free meal programme, which was introduced across over 20 provinces in the country earlier this month.

“Neither programme is related. [We will distribute the free meals] during breakfast time in the morning, while the central government distributes them for lunch,” Chico said previously as quoted by kompas.com.

"The governor and deputy governor-elect have directed us to ensure SMEs are involved, and we will also empower school canteens," said Pramono transition team member Ima Mahdiah in Jakarta on Friday (Jan 24), as quoted by tempo.co.

She said on Friday that the Jakarta Health Agency would prepare all kitchens in the school canteens so they met the standards to cook the meals. The programme was initiated to help the canteens’ financial situation following the introduction of President Prabowo’s free meals programme.

"Usually, students buy lunch from the canteens, but after the free meal programme, they [don’t go to the canteens anymore], which hurts sales. That’s what Pak Pram [...] is addressing. We must ensure these businesses don’t collapse," she said.

Ima reassured the public that the budget for the free breakfast programme was secured. The Jakarta Education Agency’s regional budget will finance the programme.

She said that trial runs were expected in the coming weeks. Jakarta Education Agency acting head Sarjoko also confirmed that the programme was scheduled to begin in 2025.

However, public policy expert Trubus Rahardiansyah raised concerns about potential overlap with the central government’s programme. "There’s a possibility of public confusion," said Trubus, urging the new Jakarta administration to review the plan. - The Jakarta Post/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Thai police go undercover as lion dancers to nab a serial burglar
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Friday (Feb 20, 2024)
Chinese scientists develop AI model to push deep-space exploration
Peru’s President Jose Jeri ousted after ‘Chifagate’ scandal tied to Chinese contractor
Singapore to ease measures against Nipah virus outbreak as condition stabilise
Indonesia agrees to eliminate tariffs on over 99% of US goods, says US trade representative

Others Also Read