Lao provinces suffer tourist slump as pandemic deepens


VIENTIANE (Vientiane Times/ANN): The number of domestic and foreign tourists visiting the provinces declined drastically last year compared to the same period of 2019 due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Champassak province received just over 117,000 visitors, down about 90 percent compared to 2019, an official from the province’s Information, Culture and Tourism Department, Soulichan Sombathduang, told Vientiane Times on Tuesday (Jan 26).

But despite the severe drop in visitor nunbers the province will forge ahead with efforts to revive tourism and upgrade visitor attractions in a bid to draw more visitors in the future.

Provincial authorities will also explore the possibility of turning other locations into new tourist destinations, Soulichan said.

Champassak will also work with health officials to prevent the spread of Covid-19 at tourist sites, restaurants, hotels and guesthouses.

Luang Prabang province recorded 275,647 visitors in 2020, of whom foreigners accounted for 142,435, down by 68 per cent compared to 2019.

The number of visitors has plummeted due to international travel restrictions imposed as a result of the pandemic.

However, the province is hopeful that tourism will pick up this year and is aiming for a target of 283,000 visitors in 2021, according to the Luang Prabang provincial Information, Culture and Tourism Department.

Department Director Dr Soudaphone Khomthavong told Vientiane Times that most hotels and guesthouses have been trying to attract visitors by discounting room rates and placing a focus on cleanliness and safety at tourist sites.

Provincial authorities are planning events to attract more Lao visitors, such as a folk art programme which will be held in Luang Prabang city from Feb 6-8.

The event will feature street food, handicrafts, games for children, and fashion shows, and will shine a spotlight on traditional activities and products. Entrance will be free.

Vangvieng district, Vientiane province, was also affected by the pandemic and last year received just over 80,000 tourists -- a drop of about 35 per cent.

However, district authorities are hopeful that more people will visit the riverside hotspot this year and are targeting a figure of at least 300,000 Lao visitors. If the pandemic subsides, Vangvieng hopes to see at least 500,000 Lao and foreign tourists, district governor Bounchan Malavong said.

Oudomxay province is another area that has suffered from a dramatic decline in visitor numbers and last year only just over 100,000 Lao and foreign tourists visited the province -- a drop of about 40 per cent compared to the figure for 2019.

Deputy Head of the province’s Information, Culture and Tourism Department, Bounkuan Mitmeuangxay, said Oudomxay would speed up improvements to accommodation, organise new activities and improve the quality of service in order to attract more visitors this year. - Vientiane Times/Asia News Network

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Laos , tourism , covid-19

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines as at 7pm on Wednesday (March 3)
Stop the repression, Pope Francis tells Myanmar junta
Myanmar police 'shoot protesters with little warning', killing at least nine
Two sessions to set bold economic vision for China
Miss Universe Thailand fired as mental health ambassador
Vietnam's Van Don International Airport reopens
Lack of Covid jab for kids will make family vacations to Thailand impossible: research
Indonesian security forces kill two suspected militants
China concerned about racial discrimination against Chinese in Australia: FM
Thai Cabinet okays MoU on expanding trade ties with Russia

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers