BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Sept 11 (Borneo Bulletin/ANN): A policeman was sentenced to three years and six months’ jail by the Intermediate Court yesterday after he pleaded guilty to committing Criminal Breach of Trust (CBT).
Judge Pengiran Hajah Norismayanti Pengiran Haji Ismail also ordered Muhd Razeeq Abdullah Ajai to make a compensation to the Royal Brunei Police Force (RBPF) Welfare and Sports Fund for an amount of BND8,576. If he fails to do so, he would have to serve another two months in jail.
The defendant was attached to the Administration of the RBPF Reserve Unit ‘C’ of Teraja Branch when he pocketed the money from contributions made by his colleagues to the Welfare and Sports Fund.
He first pocketed BND768 between March 1,2016 and February 28,2017. He took another BND7,184 between March 1,2017 and February 22,2018. Between April 2 and Oct 22,2018, he failed to submit the amount of BND624 in contributions and instead took the money.
In October 2018, the Administration Officer of the Reserve Unit ‘C’ received complaints of the defendant giving several excuses for not submitting the collected money to the Internal Audit Division.
An internal investigation led to the defendant’s admission that he had taken all the money for himself.
A police report was lodged while further investigations were conducted in the case. The defendant has been suspended from work.
Before the sentence was passed, DPP Dayangku Didi-Nuraza binti Pengiran Abdul Latiff told the court that the defendant had no remorse and blamed his superiors for assigning him to the task of collecting money, despite knowing his financial problems.
The prosecution also submitted that the defendant had ample time to reflect on his conduct through all the years when he was committing them, but he chose to continue doing them.
The Judge took the mitigating factors in consideration but also said that “the court cannot ignore that the defendant had misappropriated funds collected from fellow colleagues in the Reserve Unit, no restitution had been made to date (and) a deterrent sentence must be imposed to reflect the gravity of the offence charged”.
Meanwhile, Brunei reported no new cases of Covid-19 on Thursday with the national tally of cases standing at 145.
According to Brunei's Ministry of Health, no more recoveries were recorded, maintaining the total number of recovered cases at 139. There are three active cases being treated at the National Isolation Centre, who were recorded on Aug 19, Aug. 25 and Sept 3, respectively.
Meanwhile, currently there are 390 individuals who are undergoing mandatory isolation at the monitoring centres provided by the government, who have arrived in the country after travelling abroad.
There have been three deaths resulted from Covid-19 in Brunei. - Borneo Bulletin/Asian News Network
Did you find this article insightful?