Australia Tesla battery blaze under control after three days


This handout picture taken on July 30, 2021 and released on Aug 2 by Fire Rescue Victoria shows a fire from a 13-tonne lithium battery unit at a Tesla battery site near Geelong, about an hour's drive from Melbourne. — Handout/Fire Rescue Victoria/AFP

SYDNEY: A blaze at a massive Tesla battery site in Australia that started three days ago was brought under control on Aug 2, firefighters said.

Emergency services were first called to the Victoria Big Battery project – built by French renewable energy firm Neoen using Tesla batteries – on Friday morning.

A 13-tonne lithium battery inside a shipping container had caught fire at the site near Geelong, about an hour's drive from Australia's second city Melbourne, the Country Fire Service (CFA) said.

“There was one battery pack on fire to start with, but it did spread to a second pack that was very close to it,” incident controller Ian Beswicke said in a statement.

Images released by the CFA showed a cloud of smoke rising from one of the units at the site.

The fire service said the incident had been declared “under control” just after 3pm (0500 GMT) on Monday.

“Firefighters have successfully completed the operation of opening all doors to the container of the battery, with no sign of fire,” the CFA said in an update.

Fire authorities said the cause of the blaze was unknown.

“A smaller number of firefighters and fire trucks from CFA will remain on scene for the next 24 hours as a precaution in case of reignition, the update added.

“The will continue taking thermal temperature readings two-hourly to monitor damaged units.”

The battery site – one of the largest in the world – is designed to store energy produced by renewables and send power to the grid.

Local residents were initially warned about the possibility of toxic smoke but the Environmental Protection Agency said monitoring had shown “good air quality” near homes.

Neoen Australia managing director Louis de Sambucy said no one was injured in the incident, and with the site disconnected from the grid, there had been no impact on electricity supply.

“Investigation preparations are underway and physical inspections will commence once the CFA have completed their procedures,” he said. – AFP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Tech News

Intel breaks ground on $20 billion Arizona plants as U.S. chip factory race heats up
Nexi exec says group interested in digital euro, no formal talks with ECB
Brazil sets 5G mobile auction for Nov 4, says minister
Vice President Harris announces $1.2 billion investments to help school children afford broadband
Mercedes-Benz customers waiting more than a year for cars due to chip shortage - CEO in FAZ
Exclusive-Huawei CFO Meng expected to resolve U.S. charges in Brooklyn federal court - source
New semiconductor plants will end global auto chip shortage next year -Tesla's Musk
India's Silicon Valley state seeks to ban online gaming, worrying booming industry
Google, India antitrust watchdog tussle in court over probe leak
Wind turbine maker plans first big Chinese-built plant in Europe

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers