Tennis-US Open revamps mixed doubles format, increases prize money


FILE PHOTO: Sep 8, 2018; New York, NY, USA; A general view of Arthur Ashe Stadium during the national anthem prior to the match between Serena Williams of the United States and Naomi Osaka of Japan (both not pictured) in the women's final on day thirteen of the 2018 U.S. Open tennis tournament at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Danielle Parhizkaran-USA TODAY Sports/ File Photo

(Reuters) - The U.S. Open mixed doubles competition will now be played before the singles main draw, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) said on Tuesday as it announced an overhaul of the category's format and an increase in prize money.

The U.S. Open will also extend its main singles draw to 15 days, starting a day earlier on Sunday August 24 for the tournament's first weekend start in the Open Era.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semi-final
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha
Tennis-Cerundolo ends Argentina Open heartbreak with maiden home title
Tennis-Shelton rallies from set down to claim Dallas Open title

Others Also Read