Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement


Tennis - WTA 1000 - Dubai Championships - Dubai Tennis Stadium, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - February 16, 2026 Spain's Paula Badosa in action during her round of 64 match against Czech Republic's Katerina Siniakova REUTERS/Amr Alfiky

Feb 18 (Reuters) - Paula Badosa lashed ⁠out on Wednesday at a "disrespectful" comment online and vowed to prolong her injury-hit career after a right thigh issue ⁠forced the former world number two to retire from her match at the already depleted Dubai Tennis ‌Championships.

The Spaniard had worked her way back into the top 10 in the world last year with strong displays after a string of injuries, including a chronic back problem, left her contemplating early retirement in 2024.

Badosa went up 4-1 against Elina Svitolina in her second round match in Dubai on Tuesday, ​but lost the next five games and dropped the first set, before the ⁠28-year-old called for treatment and then decided to ⁠throw in the towel.

She later took to social media to hit back at an individual who said she disrespected the game.

"You ⁠have ‌no idea what it's like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going," Badosa wrote.

"To wake up everyday not knowing how your body will respond, searching for solutions, and fighting for something you love ⁠and give everything even when it's so difficult."

Badosa said she faced "endless nightmares" while ​trying to find lasting solutions, but ‌being able to step onto the tennis court was worth the trouble.

"So I'll keep trying," she said.

"Because it's ⁠all about trying and ​that won't change. I'll always try one more time. I'm doing this for my passion ... If there's even a 1% chance to keep going, I'll take it. That's just how I see and understand life."

WIDER DEBATE

Badosa's comments reignited a wider debate on players having to deal with ⁠hurtful social media comments.

"For me the only disrespect here is to open ​social media and read messages like this," Badosa added.

"Then we complain if we see players suffering and having mental health issues, but I'm not surprised with the amount of hate and 'experts' we have here."

The WTA told Reuters that protecting players and the wider tennis ⁠family from vile online threats and abuse remained a high priority for the governing body of the women's game.

Australia's Destanee Aiava said last week that she would quit the sport this year, describing tennis culture as "racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile" as she highlighted the online negativity she had received.

Several women's players have spoken about similar issues, with Svitolina saying she received death threats ​following her Canadian Open defeat last season, blaming the "shameful" behaviour on disgruntled bettors.

Angry gamblers were ⁠responsible for 40% of the detected abuse at players, a survey by the WTA and the International Tennis Federation published last year ​revealed.

"I'd say it's not just betting, it's overall cyber bullying all the ‌time," world number six Amanda Anisimova said.

"Commenting on everything, like my ​body all the time, every single day. It's difficult.

"I don't think that people realise the extent of it, how much of an effect it can have on someone."

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Neil Fullick)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha
Tennis-Cerundolo ends Argentina Open heartbreak with maiden home title
Tennis-Shelton rallies from set down to claim Dallas Open title
Tennis-Third time lucky De Minaur dominates Auger-Aliassime to win Rotterdam Open
Fritz and Shelton set up all-American Dallas Open final
Tennis-Teen sensation Mboko closes in on top 10 after beating Rybakina in Qatar
Different court but same drive for Hock Kin’s son Leroy

Others Also Read