Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu


Tennis - WTA 1000 - Dubai Championships - Dubai Tennis Stadium, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - February 16, 2026 Croatia's Antonia Ruzic in action during her round of 64 match against Britain's Emma Raducanu REUTERS/Amr Alfiky

Feb 17 (Reuters) - Antonia Ruzic said she ⁠was grateful she stayed on site after her early qualifying round exit at ⁠the Dubai Tennis Championships as the Croatian lucky loser capitalised on a flurry ‌of withdrawals and stunned Grand Slam winner Emma Raducanu in the main draw.

Ruzic, ranked 67 in the world, was initially beaten in the qualifying first round by Rebecca Sramkova last week but earned a spot in the main ​draw with seven prominent players, including Aryna Sabalenka and Iga ⁠Swiatek, pulling out.

The 23-year-old was rewarded ⁠with a clash against 2021 U.S. Open champion Raducanu after Elisabetta Cocciaretto's injury and she made ⁠the ‌most of her time under the spotlight, sealing a 6-1 5-7 6-2 victory on Monday for her first career top 30 win.

"The whole turnaround was crazy," Ruzic said.

"I ⁠was a lucky loser who had lost in the first ​round of the qualifiers. ‌A lot of the girls were cancelling and a lot of them were not ⁠here to sign (as ​alternates). I was like 'OK, I'm going to sign and let's see what happens'."

Ruzic explained she and her compatriot Petra Marcinko - who also received an entry into the main draw as one of seven lucky losers - ⁠had remained in Dubai as they were playing the ​doubles tournament together.

"We were going to stay here for two-three days. It's crazy because I got in on Monday. Playing against Emma, of course, is a tough match," Ruzic added.

"We played three ⁠sets of good tennis and it was a battle in the third. I'm happy I managed to get it under control and that I won in the end."

Defeat ended world number 25 Raducanu's disappointing spell in the Middle East hard court swing, with the 23-year-old seeking medical ​attention midway through the match against Ruzic for an unspecified issue.

The ⁠former world number 10 struggled with illness in her Qatar Open first-round match with Camila Osorio ​last week, when she was forced to retire in ‌the third set while trailing by two games to ​love.

Briton Raducanu reached the final of the Transylvania Open earlier this month and was beaten by Sorana Cirstea.

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Kim Coghill)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha
Tennis-Cerundolo ends Argentina Open heartbreak with maiden home title
Tennis-Shelton rallies from set down to claim Dallas Open title
Tennis-Third time lucky De Minaur dominates Auger-Aliassime to win Rotterdam Open
Fritz and Shelton set up all-American Dallas Open final
Tennis-Teen sensation Mboko closes in on top 10 after beating Rybakina in Qatar
Different court but same drive for Hock Kin’s son Leroy
Tennis-Wawrinka shrugs off 23 year age gap to beat teenager Boogaard in Rotterdam
Tennis-Djokovic withdraws from Doha with fatigue

Others Also Read