Soccer-Job not over, says De Zerbi, as Tottenham head to Chelsea with survival close


Soccer Football - Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds United - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, Britain - May 11, 2026 Tottenham Hotspur manager Roberto De Zerbi Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge/File Photo

LONDON, May 18 (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur's ⁠Premier League survival path suddenly looks a lot less treacherous as they head to Stamford Bridge to ⁠face Chelsea on Tuesday but manager Roberto de Zerbi says his rescue mission is far from complete.

The ‌Italian has overseen an upswing in results since being appointed in March with Tottenham taking eight points from a possible 15 to climb out of the bottom three.

West Ham United's 3-1 defeat at Newcastle United on Sunday means Tottenham will be mathematically safe from a first relegation since 1977 ​if they take two points from their final two games, away to ⁠Chelsea and at home to Everton.

Even a ⁠draw at Chelsea would all but guarantee Tottenham's survival as that would put them three points clear of West Ham ⁠with ‌one game left and with a far superior goal difference.

"Now we have to reach the target and to make another result. We have to play another two games," De Zerbi told reporters at Tottenham's training ground ⁠on Monday.

"It is not finished yet. We have to make a point in ​the Premier League and especially in ‌the Premier League, to make one point you have to fight and play very well.

"We have to ⁠keep focused on the ​game and then we can answer and make a big press conference (about what went wrong this season). Now is not the right time."

KINSKY LIKELY TO KEEP HIS PLACE

De Zerbi will have first-choice goalkeeper Guglielmo Vicario available again for the last two games although hinted ⁠that he will remain faithful to Antonin Kinsky. Playmaker James Maddison ​could also play some part after returning off the bench against Leeds United last week but striker Dominic Solanke will miss out.

While 17th-placed Tottenham are now within touching distance of top-flight safety, fans will still be wary given the club's lamentable record ⁠away to Chelsea.

In the last 35league trips to Stamford Bridge, Tottenham have won once, drawing 11 and losing 23 -- including the infamous "Battle of the Bridge" in 2016 when a stormy 2-2 draw ended Tottenham's hopes of winning the Premier League title and handed it to Leicester City.

Chelsea are 10th in the table after a disappointing season but still have an ​outside chance of qualifying for Europe.

"Stamford Bridge is difficult. Tough stadium because the players ⁠of Chelsea in this last 20 to 25 seasons have been fantastic. Fantastic players, fantastic managers," De Zerbi said. "But tomorrow is ​a new game.

"They played two days ago (in the FA Cup final) very ‌well. Maybe they didn't deserve to lose the game. It ​is a tough game for us for sure. But we have the quality enough and we have to show the quality with the right mentality, the right spirit."

(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Ed Osmond)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Spain's Fermin Lopez set for foot surgery, World Cup in doubt
Soccer-Kakuta named in DR Congo squad for World Cup return
Soccer-Italian Maldera appointed Ukraine coach
Soccer-Mexico City turns football into art as World Cup fever grips the capital
Soccer-Barcelona reward Flick with contract extension after LaLiga triumph
Soccer-Guardiola knows he must solve Bournemouth puzzle to keep title hopes alive
Soccer-Carvajal to leave Real Madrid as Bernabeu prepares farewell
Soccer-Cape Verde gamble on fitness of defender Costa
Soccer-Villa chase first major European title since 1982 as Freiburg await in Europa League final
Soccer-PSG boss Luis Enrique blasts flat display in last match before Champions League final

Others Also Read