PCM give reason for delay in rewards, assure all medallists will get their dues


Disappointed: Cheah Liek Hou pointed out that despite his achievement, PCM have yet to deliver the promised rewards even though the Games ended a year ago.

PETALING JAYA: The Paralympic Council of Malaysia (PCM) have assured that all Paris Paralympic medallists, including Cheah Liek Hou, will receive their rewards next Thursday.

PCM deputy president Datuk R. Subramaniam said that Liek Hou should not blow the matter out of proportion as the council had already informed the athletes about the delay three months ago during a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur.

The delay came following a request from the sponsor, B. Grimm, a conglomerate from Thailand, who wanted to personally present the rewards to the medallists.

“We were informed about the sponsorship three months ago, but the sponsor insisted on handing it over personally. He is in Thailand, so we have to wait until he comes to present it himself. That’s why there has been a delay,” said Subramaniam when contacted.

Apart from Liek Hou, those promised rewards for their medal-winning efforts include powerlifting champion Bonnie Bunyau Gustin, who struck gold.

Also set to receive incentives are silver medallists Ziyad Zolkefli in the F20 shot putt and Datuk Abdul Latif Romly in the T20 long jump, as well as Eddy Bernard, who bagged bronze in the men’s 100m T44.

Subramaniam admitted that he was disappointed with Liek Hou’s actions as PCM had worked hard to secure sponsors for the country’s para-athletes.

He feared that such public remarks could tarnish the council’s image and make it more difficult to attract sponsors in the future.

“We want a long-term partnership with the Thai sponsor, which is why we respected their request to personally present the rewards.

“We also want to caution him as he cannot make such statements.

“If he does, other sponsors may take it the wrong way and hesitate to come forward. He also cannot speak on behalf of the other athletes.

“We will be handing out the rewards to all the medallists in a ceremony next week, and a press conference will also be held to clarify the matter,” he added.

Liek Hou, who successfully defended his men’s singles SU5 gold medal in the Paris Paralympics, voiced his disappointment on social media, pointing out that despite his achievement, PCM have yet to deliver the promised rewards even though the Games ended a year ago.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Datuk R. Subramaniam , PCM , Cheah Liek Hou

Next In Badminton

Kenneth wants Jun Hao to match words with action to remain in squad
Tang Jie-Ee Wei survive scare to reach M'sian Masters quarter-finals
Sweet revenge for Aaron-Wooi Yik as they cruise into M'sian Masters quarter-finals
Home disappointment as Soon Huat-Shevon exit in second round
Justin: No issues with Jonassen's coaching method
Letshanaa claims first top 10 scalp to storm into Malaysian Masters quarters
Jonassen points to confidence issues after men’s singles wipeout
Arif-Roy King overcome teammates to reach last eight
Wise moves needed for Aaron-Khai Xing as they face compatriots
Rosman: Young pairs outclassed but still on learning curve

Others Also Read