Justin eyes long-term gains from short training stint in Denmark


PETALING JAYA: Men’s singles shuttler Justin Hoh (pic) will not take his short training stint in Copenhagen, Denmark, next week lightly even though he knows his chances of featuring in the World Championships in Paris are slim.

Justin knows he needs to find every possible way not only to stay competitive but also to break into the elite ranks of the men’s singles, especially with his performances having come under heavy criticism in the past.

His trip to Copenhagen will only be as a sparring partner for Leong Jun Hao and K. Letshanaa, who have qualified for the World Championships, with the camp serving as part of their preparations for the tournament.

However, Justin also intends to make the most of the chance to train with Denmark’s national players, even if the stint lasts only five days from Aug 18 to 22. The World Championships will then take place in Paris from Aug 25 to 31.

“I will head to Denmark (on Aug 16) to train and have the opportunity to practise with some big names. I am very happy to be given such a chance,” said Justin when met at the Academy Badminton Malaysia (ABM) in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“This is important as I will be competing in several more tournaments, and I hope to do well in the final few months of the year.

“I am truly grateful for this opportunity because it will be a different environment with top players around. I really want to learn from them.

“I want to pick up on their discipline, both on and off the court.’’

According to the updated men’s singles list by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Aug 5, even with several players having withdrawn, including two-time world champion Viktor Axelsen, Justin’s chances of making his debut in the prestigious tournament remain slim as he is placed 18th on the reserve list.

In fact, with Axelsen still recovering, Justin’s chances of training with the Olympic champion and Anders Antonsen in Copenhagen are also slim as both are now competing professionally and are no longer part of the Danish national team. Even so, there are still other players whom Justin can train with.

Among them is Rasmus Gemke, an opponent Justin nearly stunned twice last year.

Their first meeting came during the group stage of the Thomas Cup, where Justin, then only 20 years old and ranked 233 in the world, managed to push Gemke – who was ranked 26 at the time – to a rubber game before the Dane eventually prevailed.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Badminton

Jonassen believes Jin Wei has rediscovered her rhythm, will be good for Uber Cup
Zakry doubles down on depth in women’s ranks
Rexy keeps Thomas Cup door open despite Goh-Izzuddin joining training
Chong Wei plays down Zii Jia concerns, gives him time to decide on Finals
Chong Wei says Zii Jia's injury not serious, understands his situation
Sze Fei-Izzuddin agree to Thomas Cup, Asian Games, says Rexy
Zii Jia, Jin Wei have one week to decide on BAM's Thomas-Uber Cup offer
Chong Wei meets Zii Jia, Jin Wei at BAM over Thomas-Uber Cup talk
New coach Zakry seeks stronger back-up behind Pearly-Thinaah
Rosman sees bright future for Carmen-Xin Yee

Others Also Read