Zii Jia, Tang Jie-Ee Wei's withdrawals from Asian Championships raise eyebrows


Malaysia’s Toh Ee Wei and Chen Tang Jie. — FAIHAN GHANI/The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia's campaign in the Asian Championships has taken a hit following the withdrawals of professional men’s singles shuttler Lee Zii Jia and mixed doubles pair Chen Tang Jie-Toh Ee Wei.

According to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) website, both entries have been officially withdrawn from the tournament in Ningbo, China, from April 8-13, though the reasons remain unclear.

Zii Jia, the 2022 champion, is likely still recovering from a foot injury that has yet to fully heal, which also contributed to his early exit at the All-England last week.

As for Tang Jie and Ee Wei, it is uncertain whether internal issues between the pair played a role in their decision to pull out.

Tang Jie-Ee Wei also lost in the first round at the All-England.

Zii Jia was seeded seventh for the tournament, while Tang Jie and Ee Wei were the fourth seeds.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Badminton

Goh’s good to go
Zi Yu ready to fight without fear if given chance to make her debut
Jonassen believes Jin Wei has rediscovered her rhythm, will be good for Uber Cup
Zakry doubles down on depth in women’s ranks
Rexy keeps Thomas Cup door open despite Goh-Izzuddin joining training
Chong Wei plays down Zii Jia concerns, gives him time to decide on Finals
Chong Wei says Zii Jia's injury not serious, understands his situation
Sze Fei-Izzuddin agree to Thomas Cup, Asian Games, says Rexy
Zii Jia, Jin Wei have one week to decide on BAM's Thomas-Uber Cup offer
Chong Wei meets Zii Jia, Jin Wei at BAM over Thomas-Uber Cup talk

Others Also Read