Volkswagen plans to cut 100,000 jobs: media


BERLIN, June 26 (Xinhua) -- Volkswagen plans to deepen its cost-cutting drive by eliminating up to 100,000 jobs worldwide and could eventually close four plants in Germany, local business magazine Manager Magazin reported on Friday, citing company insiders.

The report said the planned job cuts would double the 50,000 reductions previously announced by the automaker, which is part of a new "2030 strategy" discussed by Volkswagen's executive board on Wednesday.

According to the magazine, the strategy will now be submitted to Volkswagen's supervisory board for discussion on July 9.

The four German sites that could face closure in the medium term are Volkswagen's plants in Hanover, Zwickau and Emden, as well as Audi's factory in Neckarsulm, the report said, without specifying when the measures would take effect.

Volkswagen has already announced plans to cut 50,000 jobs across the group by 2030, including 35,000 at its core Volkswagen passenger car brand.

An employment guarantee agreed with labour union IG Metall remains in force at the group's German operations until at least 2030.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Key moments in Prince Harry and Meghan's six years in California
2nd LD Writethru: U.S. national debt tops 40 trillion USD for first time in history
U.S. stocks close higher as bonds yields drop
Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain, media reports say
Roundup: T�rkiye's tourism sector faces uncertainty amid regional conflict
1st LD: U.S. national debt tops 40 trillion USD: Treasury Department
North Sea temperature off Dutch coast hits record high: statistics
Lebanon hands Assad-era general to Syria in first such transfer since Assad’s fall
U.S. stocks close higher
Trump the builder carves his legacy in stone as pressures mount

Others Also Read