Mauritius prime minister says Trump comments on Chagos deal positive


FILE PHOTO: New Prime Minister of Mauritius and candidate for Alliance du Changement party Navin Ramgoolam attends his swearing-in ceremony as Mauritius President Prithvirajsing Roopun witnesses, in Reduit, Mauritius November 13, 2024. REUTERS/Ally Soobye/File Photo

PORT LOUIS (Reuters) - Mauritius' Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam has described as "positive" U.S. President Donald Trump's comments that signalled Washington would likely back a deal over the future of a U.S.-UK military base in the Chagos Islands.

Britain struck the agreement in October to cede sovereignty of the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, while retaining control under a 99-year lease of the military base on Diego Garcia, the largest island of the archipelago in the Indian Ocean.

The deal, yet to be finalised with a formal treaty, had the backing of former U.S. President Joe Biden but has been mired in uncertainty since Trump's re-election, with Ramgoolam, who was elected in November, also raising questions about it.

Trump indicated his likely backing for the deal while meeting British Prime Minister Keir Starmer at the White House on Thursday.

"It looks positive. But we will wait and see what are the final proposals," Ramgoolam told L’Hebdo, a weekly newspaper published on Sunday, referring to Trump's comments on the deal.

Trump told reporters he would discuss the agreement with Starmer but that he was hopeful "it's going to work out very well."

"I think we'll be inclined to go along with your country," he told Starmer.

Britain had said it would give the Trump administration a chance to review the deal before finalising it.

(Writing by Elias Biryabarema; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump says he will raise US global tariff rate from 10% to 15%
Ukraine strikes ballistic missile producer deep inside Russia, Kyiv says
Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Ukraine hits Russian ballistic missiles producer in Udmurtia, Kyiv says
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
With tariffs ruling, Supreme Court reasserts its power to check Trump
Exclusive-Cuban security forces exit Venezuela as US pressure mounts
Thousands march in Lyon after French far-right activist killed last week
Two soldiers, five militants killed in Bannu, Pakistan army says

Others Also Read