Suspects go on trial for killing celebrity Dutch crime reporter


A general view outside a court in Amsterdam, Netherlands June 7, 2022. REUTERS/Piroschka Van De Wouw

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - A trial of the suspected gunman and the getaway driver involved in last year's killing of celebrity Dutch crime reporter Peter R. De Vries opened on Tuesday and the two men could face life imprisonment if convicted.

De Vries was gunned down last July on a busy Amsterdam street. The killing prompted a nationwide outpouring of grief and anger and raised concerns about the ability of the criminal underworld to eliminate a prominent public figure who was considered a threat.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In World

Trump meets Vietnam leader, vows to remove Hanoi from restricted lists
Analysis-Supreme Court checks Trump's expansive view of executive power
Trump furious after Supreme Court upends his global tariffs, imposes new 10% levy
US says it struck vessel in the eastern Pacific, killing three men
1st LD: Trump says he will sign order imposing 10 pct global tariff
Tajikistan's population reaches 10.72 million
Switzerland takes men's curling bronze, Sweden, Switzerland set up women's final at Milan-Cortina
Coventry hails Milan-Cortina Games as 'truly successful'
Medal table at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on February 20
U.S. stocks close higher

Others Also Read