Health Ministry budget recalibration does not involve operating expenditure, Dewan Rakyat told


Photo: Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: The RM500mil adjustment for the Health Ministry was derived from savings linked to unutilised allocations for approved but unfilled posts, rather than cuts to healthcare services or hospital operations, says Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

The Health Minister said the adjustment does not involve any reduction in operating allocations for essential services across all the ministry’s healthcare facilities, including medicines, consumables, raw materials and utilities.

“What I must emphasise is that this is actually a technical adjustment on surplus allocations.

“It does not involve the 18,641 posts out of the 50,000 posts approved by the Public Service Department for the ministry in 2024.

“It only relates to allocations for posts where, out of the savings or allocation provided for 50,000 posts, only 18,641 posts have been filled or approved, and the remaining allocation represents unused capacity.

“Therefore, no allocation is taken from operating expenditure for services, procurement of posts, or any other operational needs,” he said during a question and answer session in the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday (July 2).

He was responding to Abdul Latiff Abdul Rahman (Perikatan Nasional–Kuala Krai), who sought assurances that fiscal adjustment policies would not affect the health sector.

Previously, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said all ministries would face budget cuts under Budget 2027 as the government seeks to strengthen fiscal discipline amid global economic uncertainties.

The Health Ministry previously faced a much larger proposed expenditure reduction at about RM3.1bil, but the adjustment was capped at RM500mil following negotiations and proposals submitted to the Finance Ministry.

Meanwhile, Dzulkefly said the adjustment would also not involve development expenditure.

“All approved expenditure ceilings for 2026 remain unchanged, and all projects will continue as normal.

“The ministry assures that healthcare services and delivery by MOH nationwide, including in Sabah, will not be affected.

“This demonstrates that the Madani government continues to prioritise the health sector to ensure the people receive the best healthcare services and treatment,” he said.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Electrician electrocuted while installing power pole in Sandakan
Govt rules out acquisition of Datasonic Technologies
RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene

Others Also Read