AKPS proposes Glock pistols as weapon of choice for its officers


PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency (AKPS) has proposed procuring Glock pistols for its officers, citing their durability and low maintenance costs.

AKPS director-general Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Shuhaily Mohd Zain said the government had, in principle, agreed to equip the agency with firearms to enhance operational capability and ensure personnel safety while on duty.

"We want something that is easy to maintain and does not incur high maintenance costs.

"As everyone knows, the Glock... requires less maintenance and is durable. That is what we have requested," he told reporters after the agency's monthly assembly here on Wednesday (July 1).

Previously, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim approved a RM22mil allocation to equip AKPS with firearms and other equipment.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said the funding was approved in view of the urgent need to strengthen the safety of AKPS personnel after a commander from the agency was shot at in Bukit Kayu Hitam, Kedah, in February.

In the incident, a vehicle driven by Senior Asst Comm Mohd Nasaruddin Mohd Nasir, who is now AKPS deputy director-general (Operations), was fired upon at 5.40am near the Masjid Muhajirin junction in Bukit Kayu Hitam, about 1km from the Malaysia-Thailand border.

Today's monthly assembly brought together AKPS personnel for the agency's top leadership to outline its strategic direction, strengthen organisational unity and reinforce a work culture centred on integrity, efficiency and professionalism.

The event also marked the official implementation of the AKPS service scheme, which came into effect today.

The date also marked the first anniversary of Comm Shuhaily's appointment as AKPS director-general, having assumed the post on July 1 last year.

Meanwhile, Comm Shuhaily said AKPS recorded RM140.863mil in seizures and handovers between January and May this year, almost double the RM82.1mil recorded throughout last year.

He said the agency also seized 432 containers carrying more than 5,803 tonnes of electronic waste (e-waste) that were being illegally imported or exported.

"Through coordinated efforts under the whole-of-government approach, 122 containers of e-waste have been shipped out to recipient countries in accordance with the requirements of the Basel Convention," he said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Malaysia prepared for Super El Nino, haze, says NRES Minister
Hibah paid to TH depositors valid under completed contract, says FT Mufti
Tabung Haji Act to be amended, safeguard trust of Muslims, says PM Anwar
Police arrest drug smuggler, seize yaba pills worth RM60,000
Malaysian pilot nabbed in Indonesia been smuggling drugs since 2024, says Bukit Aman
Ex-DAP vet Ronnie Liu appointed as PBM info chief
Chow: DAP’s decision to stay reflects resolve to deliver reforms
Cops nab two, seize RM1.49mil in illicit cigs
Overwhelming 88.2% of DAP delegates vote for party to remain in Federal Govt
Two cops nabbed for soliciting, accepting bribes amounting to RM14,000

Others Also Read