No extradition request for Bestinet founder so far, Dewan Rakyat told


KUALA LUMPUR: Putrajaya has not received any formal request from the Bangladesh government or its High Commission in Malaysia to extradite Bestinet Sdn Bhd founder Mohamed Aminul Islam, the Dewan Rakyat was told.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail said Malaysia and Bangladesh do not currently have an extradition treaty.

"An application has to be made to the Home Minister through the applying country’s diplomatic representative, in line with Section 12 of the Extradition Act 1992," he said in a parliamentary written reply dated Tuesday (June 23).

"If Malaysia has no (extradition) treaty with another country, it can still be done based on Section 3 of the Act.

"The government can only consider extraditing a person if all legal requirements relating to extradition have been fulfilled," he added.

ALSO READ: Bangladesh seeking arrest of Bestinet founder in Malaysia, says Home Minister

Under Section 3, the minister has the prerogative to personally decide on extradition if another country makes a request.

Wong Chen (PH-Subang) sought an updated on cooperation between Malaysian and Bangladesh authorities on the matter.

In November 2024, the Bangladesh police requested Malaysian authorities to arrest Mohamed Aminul and his associate Mohamad Ruhul Amin.

It was previously reported that two were alleged to be involved in a system that "fraudulently extort money from victims" and subjected them to "physical and mental torture", based on a letter dated Oct 24 that year which authorities in Dhaka had sent to their counterparts in Malaysia.

Aminul and Ruhul have have denied the allegations raised in the letter to Malaysian authorities.

The firm is involved in managing foreign worker intake.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM41mil in assets seized, 12 detained in Sabah illegal mining crackdown
Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco

Others Also Read