VM2026 plans to be revised in response to ongoing Mid-East conflict, Tiong tells Parliament


KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia will revise its Visit Malaysia 2026 (VM2026) campaign plans in response to the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, with a revamped programme expected to be unveiled within the next six weeks, says Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing.

The Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister said the ministry was reworking several components of the campaign to reflect the evolving geopolitical situation, which had already prompted the government to extend VM2026 until the end of 2027.

“Our programme has undergone some adjustments due to the continuing conflict in the Middle East.

“Within a month or a month and a half, we are reviewing and restructuring the programme before making an announcement,” he told the Dewan Rakyat during the Minister’s Question Time session on Tuesday (June 23).

He was responding to a supplementary question from Young Syefura Othman (PH-Bentong) on the government’s plans for VM2026 amid the current geopolitical tensions in the region.

The government had previously announced that VM2026 would be extended until the end of 2027 following a decision by the National Steering Committee for Visit Malaysia 2026.

Previously, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, who chairs the committee, said the extension took into account current developments, including the conflict in West Asia, which has affected regional stability and tourism planning.

Tiong said Malaysia recorded 17.5mil tourist arrivals between January and May this year, up 3.4% from 16.9mil arrivals during the same period last year.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Haze: 12 areas record unhealthy API readings as of 8pm
Sarawak fires: 30-hectare peatland fire in Betong, water bombing controls Lundu blaze
KL police launch bullying probe into 14-year-old female student's death
Malaysian detained in Pakistan scam call centre raid released, returns home
Man suffers burns in Semporna hotel restaurant fire
Activists push for nationwide independent bloc ahead of GE
Fear of heights freezes two men on 14th-floor ledge before firefighters intervene
Six new Sembulan–Kinarut railway halts to open in October
Johor International Book Bazaar aims for 500,000 visitors, says exco
Police step up patrols after two gold shop robberies in Pahang

Others Also Read