No compromise on sexual misconduct, says Johor Education Dept


 PETALING JAYA: The Johor Education Department says it will not compromise on any sexual misconduct at educational institutions under its purview, following allegations that a primary school teacher molested a Year Six pupil.

In a statement on Friday (May 22), the department confirmed that several police reports have been lodged, including one by the school involved.

It also said the teacher in question has been remanded to assist in investigations.

"The department calls on the police to conduct a professional and comprehensive investigation so that legal action can be taken if the individual is found culpable," the statement read.

Pending the outcome of investigations, it said the teacher will be placed at the district education office.

ALSO READ: Johor cops detain man for allegedly molesting pupil

"We are also working closely with the Social Welfare Department to ensure that students who may have been affected are protected, and that their wellbeing is safeguarded.

"Strict action will be taken against perpetrators of such acts," it said.

The deparrment also urged anyone who has lodged a police report alleging sexual misconduct not to withdraw it so that the authorities can investigate and take action.

Education Minister Fadhlina Sidek also addressed the matter in a Facebook post on Friday, saying the case had been handed over to the police while the ministry’s internal investigation is ongoing.

“The public is urged to come forward to report cases related to sexual offences to authorities.

"The authorities must take immediate action to investigate when complaints involve child victims.

"Take joint responsibility as members of society (as it is) the responsibility of all parties to continue to protect children," she said.

The statements came after police arrested a 28-year-old local man to assist in investigations into an alleged molestation case involving a female primary school pupil in Seri Alam.

Johor acting police chief Deputy Comm Hoo Chuan Huat said the arrest was made following a viral Facebook post on Thursday (May 21) and a police report lodged by the victim’s mother later that night.

The case is being investigated under Section 14(a) of the Sexual Offences Against Children Act 2017.

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Two suspected 'Geng Shafik' members among five charged with migrant smuggling
Malaysia’s top 7 global trust ranking shows nation on right track, says Nga
Johor cops detain man for allegedly molesting pupil
Three dead, one seriously hurt after car crashes into cement lorry on Karak Highway
Penang braces for 1.9 million vehicles amid holiday rush, police intensify traffic ops
Two held over deadly helium cylinder blast in Sg Petani
Goldman Sachs to pay US$500mil to settle shareholder lawsuit over 1MDB scandal
We didn’t bar outsiders from Orang Asli villages, says Jakoa
Federal bike lane upgrade to be done by August
Working mums struggling with parental burnout

Others Also Read