PETALING JAYA: Journalists must be given full space to carry out their duties at any event, says Communications Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil.
In response to the alleged rough treatment of media practitioners at the Pakatan Harapan convention on Sunday (May 17), Fahmi, who is also Pakatan communications director, said the situation should not have occurred in the first place.
ALSO READ: Report lodged over alleged press harassment at Pakatan convention, says Johor Media Club
"As the director of the convention, I deeply regret the incident. This should not have happened," he said at the post-Cabinet press conference on Wednesday (May 20).
"I have instructed the secretariat to review the complaints that were made and identify the issues involved, as well as those who may have been involved, so that appropriate action can be taken.
"In my view, journalists should be given full space and access at any event.
"However, I also understand that in certain situations, particularly where physical space is limited, attendance is very high and there is movement involving individuals being interviewed, such situations can arise."
He also said that while the convention secretariat had put facilities and arrangements in place to help media practitioners carry out their duties, some areas may have become congested under certain circumstances.
"We have taken note of this and will work to make improvements," he said.
ALSO READ: Johor police to call witnesses over alleged rough treatment of media at PH convention
Earlier, the Johor Media Club said in a statement that a police report had been lodged over alleged aggressive conduct by a political party’s security squad against media personnel.
This follows reports where several media practitioners from Johor and Kuala Lumpur were allegedly obstructed from carrying out their duties by squad personnel displaying aggressive behaviour.
The situation escalated into a verbal altercation and shoving as media practitioners, including women, attempted to obtain reactions from party leaders.
Meanwhile, Johor acting police chief Deputy Comm Hoo Chuan Huat said police will call witnesses to assist with investigations into the allegations.
