KUALA LUMPUR: The Dewan Rakyat Speaker has yet to receive formal notification regarding the vacancies of the Pandan and Setiawangsa parliamentary seats.
"Not yet. We have also not received any notification from the PKR secretary-general," an official from the Speaker’s Office said when contacted on Monday (May 18).
The official was responding to media queries on whether or not any formal notice had been submitted concerning vacancies for the two parliamentary constituencies.
ALSO READ: Taking over Bersama is 'second kamikaze mission', say Rafizi, Nik Nazmi
On Sunday (May 17), former Cabinet ministers Datuk Seri Rafizi Ramli (economy) and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad (natural resources and environmental sustainability) officially announced that they were leaving PKR to join Parti Bersama Malaysia.
They said their respective parliamentary seats of Pandan and Setiawangsa would be vacated with effect from Monday.
They said they would officially move to Parti Bersama Malaysia (Bersama) on Tuesday (May 19), cutting their long-standing ties with PKR.
Rafizi and Nik Nazmi stated they would formally write to Speaker Tan Sri Johari Abdul on Monday to notify him of their resignations.
ALSO READ: Rafizi, Nik Nazmi's PKR membership automatically terminated, says Fuziah
Rafizi and Nik Nazmi insisted their decision could not be considered party-hopping as they were willingly surrendering the mandates they won under PKR and Pakatan Harapan before joining another party.
The clarification comes amid concerns over the Anti-Hopping Law, with both leaders saying the carefully arranged timeline was designed to respect voters and avoid legal or financial penalties.
