Man who drove against traffic on Old Klang Road sentenced


KUALA LUMPUR: The 32-year-old man, who drove against the flow of traffic along Old Klang Road was sentenced to three-days imprisonment and fined RM6,000 after pleading guilty to reckless and dangerous driving.

The accused, Wong Kok Kong, was charged at a Magistrate's Court here under Section 42(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 on Monday (April 6).

He pleaded guilty and Magistrate Tg Syazwany Yasmyn Tuan Roslan imposed the fine and jail sentence.

The accused paid the fine.

Earlier, it was reported that the man who had gone viral on social media for driving against traffic along Old Klang Road had been detained after surrendering himself at the Kuala Lumpur Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department (JSPT) office on Sunday (April 5) night.

Kuala Lumpur JSPT chief Asst Comm Mohd Zamzuri Mohd Isa had said the suspect presented himself at the JSPT office at 8.35pm after police had failed to locate him at several addresses including his family home.

Investigations found that the local man had driven against traffic for about 500m after taking a wrong turn while heading towards the Mid Valley shopping centre.

“Breathalyser and urine tests conducted on the suspect returned negative results.

“The case is being investigated under Section 42(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless and dangerous driving,” he said.

Previously, a video went viral showing a vehicle being driven against traffic from the Old Klang Road/Jalan Sepadu intersection to the Jalan Kuchai Lama intersection, endangering other road users.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
WCE Section 3 targets year-end completion, to open in 2027
Govt expands AI development to rural areas to improve tech literacy
Removing numbers from counters has curtailed illegal entry syndicates, says Johor Immigration
46,542 commuting accidents recorded in 2025, says PERKESO
Man nabbed after failed snatch theft attempt in hospital parking lot

Others Also Read