KUALA LUMPUR: Twelve police personnel have been temporarily suspended from active duty in connection with the theft of cryptocurrency from Chinese nationals, says Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail (pic).
The Inspector-General of Police said that statements are also being taken from those involved, as part of an ongoing investigation.
“Further action will be decided once the investigation is complete.
“For now, the officers have been assigned to non-operational duties to ensure the investigation proceeds properly,” he told reporters after the presentation of Yayasan Seri Negara’s contribution and Zakat Wakalah PBLT Sdn Bhd at the Cheras district police headquarters yesterday.
Mohd Khalid stressed that the police would take strict action against any officers involved in illegal activities.
“We will not tolerate any wrongdoing.
“If the law is broken, we will take action and press charges where necessary.”
On Friday, Selangor police chief Datuk Shazeli Kahar confirmed the officers’ detention in connection with a cryptocurrency theft that occurred in Kajang earlier this month.
On another matter, Mohd Khalid said several individuals will be called in to give statements to assist in the investigation into the alleged share ownership involving Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Tan Sri Azam Baki.
He said an investigation paper has been opened and police are in the process of recording statements from relevant parties to facilitate the probe.
“Insya-Allah, I will provide updates on this matter from time to time, and the investigation papers will be submitted to the Attorney General’s Chambers soon,” he told reporters.
Earlier, the police confirmed that it had received a police report regarding the publication of an article by Bloomberg, which allegedly contained defamatory statements against Azam.
Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) director Comm Datuk M. Kumar was reported as saying that the case is being investigated by the department’s Special Investigation Unit.
The investigation is being carried out under Section 500 of the Penal Code for defamation and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Azam had previously stated that he no longer holds shares in any company and that all past share transactions were conducted transparently and in full compliance with government regulations.
He also said that his trading account is currently inactive and can be verified with Bursa Malaysia.
