JOHOR BARU: Some 143 victims from 40 families affected by a fire at Kampung Orang Asli Teluk Jawa will be temporarily moved to the People’s Housing Programme (PPR) at Taman Cendana in Pasir Gudang.
Johor Orang Asli Development Department (Jakoa) director Faisal Long said permanent houses were being built on a 10.7ha Orang Asli reserve in Kuala Masai.
The victims, who are from the Seletar tribe, were previously housed at the Dewan Muafakat Megah Ria temporary evacuation centre (PPS) since the fire on Feb 12.
“We have explained the relocation process to them and they have agreed to move,” he said when contacted, Bernama reported.
The PPR units will be provided at no charge under a state government initiative, while the duration of their stay would depend on how long it would take to complete the permanent housing project, said Faisal who visited the site in Kuala Masai.
Also present were Jakoa deputy director-general (Development) Mahat Mat Dong, Socioeconomic Development Division director Muhamad Abu Bakar and Rural and Regional Development Ministry’s Johor director Amy Lydia Adnan.
Faisal said the state government and Jakoa were working closely to ensure a smooth relocation.
