PUTRAJAYA: The government will continue to prioritise upgrading dilapidated military and police quarters to ensure the comfort and welfare of security personnel, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
He said that under the plans currently being discussed, several improvements to the quarters have already been implemented.
"We have taken action on the police and army quarters, and will now focus even more on this. In previous years, RM1bil was spent on renovating severely dilapidated military and police quarters," he said.
He said this after meeting Home Ministry staff and the Ihya' Ramadan programme team here on Thursday (Feb 19).
Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail, his deputy Datuk Seri Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah, Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar, and Treasury secretary-general Datuk Johan Mahmood Merican were also present.
Earlier, in his speech, Saifuddin Nasution urged the Treasury secretary-general, through the upcoming Budget, to consider allocating additional funds for this purpose.
Meanwhile, Anwar stressed that the responsibility of developing the country does not rest solely with any single party.
"The responsibility of developing this country is not that of just one party. On security matters, some say it is solely the police's responsibility; that is not true. It is everyone's responsibility," he said.
"Use this month of Ramadan as a time to improve ourselves, enhance our performance, and correct any shortcomings and weaknesses within us. Then, strive to make this country more orderly," he said.
He also expressed his appreciation to the Royal Malaysia Police, Immigration Department, Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), and other enforcement agencies for their swiftness and efficiency, while reminding them not to become complacent.
"I'm proud of your performance so far, but let us not become complacent. Let us evaluate ourselves and ensure we do not regress," he said. – Bernama
