Contractor loses nearly RM108,000 to tender scam


JERTIH: A contractor lost nearly RM108,000 after falling victim to a non-existent tender scam.

Besut police chief Supt Mohd Rozaime Ab Rahim, in a statement on Tuesday (Feb 17), said the 47-year-old man received a WhatsApp message on Feb 3 from an individual posing as a procurement officer of a government agency in the district, offering a tender to supply electric generators.

The victim agreed to purchase five portable generators worth RM107,995 and made five payments to a company account provided by the suspect between Feb 10 and 12.

However, checks with the agency later confirmed that no such tender had been issued.

Realising he had been duped, the victim lodged a police report at the Besut District Police Headquarters yesterday.

Police have advised the public to verify tender offers with the relevant agencies and not be lured by promises of quick profits. The case is being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Three men nabbed after cable theft chase ends in oil palm estate
Celebrate CNY together, reject political division, says MCA president
Bersatu’s internal split ‘karma’ for Umno rift, says Mohd Hairi
Company loses RM137,600 after paying for non-existent tender
New judge assigned to Special Corruption High Court in Kuala Lumpur
Two children among five killed in suspected family murder in Kuantan
PM: Celebrating Chinese New Year together shows unity, togetherness
Labuan MMEA foils attempts to smuggle RM200,000 worth of alcoholic beverages
Most Bersatu members in Kepala Batas remain loyal despite leadership exodus, says exco member
Year of the Horse to spur energy, prosperity, says Dr Wee

Others Also Read