Altantuya's family returns damages in full, plus interest, to Malaysian Govt


KUALA LUMPUR: The family of murdered Mongolian model Altantuya Shaariibuu has refunded to the Malaysian Government more than RM4.8mil, being damages inclusive of interest, previously awarded to them following a Court of Appeal ruling that absolved the government of liability for her death in 2006.

Lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo, representing Altantuya’s family, said that the entire amount was preserved untouched in their stakeholder account, in strict compliance with the court’s order.

"The entire sum previously paid pursuant to the conditional stay order of the Shah Alam Court, comprising the full judgment sum and all accrued interest, was remitted in full to the Government of Malaysia yesterday,” she said in a statement on Thursday (Feb 5).

Sangeet added that the same course was taken in respect of political analyst Abdul Razak Baginda, with the remittance effected in accordance with the deductions ordered by the Court of Appeal.

"As Altantuya’s father has consistently said, this case has never been about money. What he seeks are answers, accountability, and acknowledgement. The prompt and full return of the sum, together with the interest earned, reflects that position in the clearest possible terms,” she said.

The refund stems from a 2025 High Court decision that ordered both the Malaysian Government and Abdul Razak to pay RM4.7mil each to Altantuya's family and deposit the sum until their appeals were heard.

The Court of Appeal held that the government was not vicariously liable for Altantuya’s death, as the acts of the two former police officers, Sirul Azhar Umar and Azilah Hadri, were committed outside the scope of their duty.

Altantuya’s parents and grandson had filed a RM100mil lawsuit in 2007, claiming that her death caused them mental shock and psychological trauma.

The Shah Alam High Court in 2022 allowed the lawsuit filed by Altantuya’s family and ordered Azilah, Sirul Azhar, Abdul Razak, and the government to jointly pay RM5mil in damages. The government and Abdul Razak subsequently appealed against the High Court’s decision.

Azilah and Sirul Azhar were convicted in 2009 of murdering Altantuya in Shah Alam between Oct 19 and 20, 2006. The Federal Court, in 2015, upheld their convictions and death sentences after overturning a prior acquittal by the Court of Appeal. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Meticulous to the last detail: Ahmad Izram bids farewell after 32 years in fire service
Melaka SMEs urged to harness multicultural strength amid global headwinds
Drug and vape lab busted
Experts welcome Child Protection Code but worry over data risks
Govt working to extend energy supply until December
‘New Codes a more proactive and preventive approach’
Penang JPJ seizes 51 luxury cars
Time to explore our own backyard
Chelsea-JDT match set to boost Johor tourism�
A big step up for local aviation

Others Also Read