Mohd Ismail Ayob is Sabah BN's candidate for Lamag by-election


Jafry (centre) with Naim Kurniwan (left) and Mohd Ismail (right) after the candidate announcement.

KOTA KINABALU: Youth activist Mohd Ismail Ayob, 45, will be Sabah Barisan Nasional's candidate for the Lamag by-election, says its chairman Datuk Jafry Ariffin.

The state seat and the Kinabatangan parliamentary seat fell vacant following the death of Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin on Dec 5.

Jafry had earlier announced Bung Moktar's son, Naim Kurniawan, 31, as the coalition's choice to stand in Kinabatangan.

ALSO READ: Miha in the spotlight as Lamag by-election speculation grows 

He said that Ismail, popularly known as Miha, would be a direct candidate for Sabah Barisan.

The choice of candidates was made through discussions and reaching a consensus with Gabungan Rakyat Sabah (GRS), he added.

Ismail ran against Bung Moktar as an independent in the Nov 29 state election.

He secured 3,755 votes, while Bung Moktar obtained 3,908 votes to retain the seat with a majority of 153.

Ismail was also a special officer to Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor in the previous GRS state administration.

Nomination Day for both the Lamag and Kinabatangan by-elections is on Jan 10, with polling on Jan 24.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

No training, no licence
Johor declares May 25 a state holiday following JDT's Malaysia Cup win
Queen arrives in Turkiye for three-day special visit
Police hunt two brothers over theft of cash box from budget rice seller
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Teenage girl reported missing during hike in Tanjong Malim
Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period

Others Also Read