Army chief on leave due to probe


PETALING JAYA: Army chief Jeneral Datuk Muhammad Hafizuddeain Jantan has been placed on leave due to an ongoing investigation linked to him.

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin confirmed the matter yesterday.

“In order to allow the authorities the necessary space to conduct investigation into certain allegations that have been reported involving the Chief of Army, he will be placed on leave with immediate effect until the completion of the investigation.

“This administrative measure is taken to ensure the investigation process proceeds smoothly without any conflict of interest,” he said in a statement yesterday.

He added that Navy chief Admiral Tan Sri Zulhelmy Ithnain is now acting Armed Forces chief following the retirement of Armed Forces chief Jeneral Tan Sri Mohd Nizam Jaffar.

Previously, three individuals were called in by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to have their statements recorded in connection with an investigation into military procurement projects.

The MACC also received a complaint and recorded a statement from activist Badrul Hisham Shaharin, also known as Chegubard, at its headquarters.

Necessary measure: Khaled (left) confirmed that Muhammad Hafizuddeain has been placed on leave due to an ongoing investigation.
Necessary measure: Khaled (left) confirmed that Muhammad Hafizuddeain has been placed on leave due to an ongoing investigation.

Chegubard also lodged a report at the Dang Wangi district police headquarters, stating that he possessed a financial forensic report on an individual’s bank accounts.

On Dec 22, the Defence Minister said he was aware that a police report had been lodged regarding an alleged money-laundering case involving a senior military officer.

“We fully respect the legal process that will be carried out and we are committed to upholding the rule of law and the principles of justice.

“We urge the public not to engage in speculation, make accusations or pass judgment until investigations are completed and official findings are announced by the relevant authorities.

“We will await the outcome of the formal investigation before issuing any further statements or taking subsequent action, in accordance with prevailing legal provisions,” he had said.

MACC officers were also dispatched to the Defence Ministry at about 11.30am on Dec 23 to begin preliminary investigations into several projects involving the army from 2023 to the present.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

INTERACTIVE: KL, Penang and Putrajaya record biggest rise in local tourists
A 10-day holiday within reach this month
Gig-trippers hit the road to catch their favourite events
Tourism Malaysia: Immersive experiences in the pipeline
‘Fragmented forests a big threat’
Bridging gaps for orang utan
Former investment bank CEO, two others expected to face charges under MACC Act
Police arrest man who doused woman with petrol, set her on fire
KPDN busts syndicate repackaging subsidised cooking oil as prayer oil
Two KPDN personnel injured during LPG enforcement operation

Others Also Read