Floods: S'wak set to face North-East Monsoon with over 650 relief centres identified


State Women, Childhood and Community Wellbeing Development Minister Datuk Seri Fatimah Abdullah showing her winding-up speech in the Sarawak Legislative Assembly on Tuesday (Dec 2).

 KUCHING: The Sarawak Social Welfare Department has identified 658 temporary relief centres statewide in the event of floods during the ongoing North-East Monsoon.

State Women, Childhood and Community Wellbeing Development Minister Datuk Seri Fatimah Abdullah said the department had also stocked up on essentials for flood victims at its depot in Samarahan and mini depots in Mukah, Kapit, Miri and Lawas.

"In addition, stocks of essentials are available at 12 divisional and district welfare offices as well as 24 forward bases in Sarawak," she told the Sarawak Legislative Assembly during her winding-up speech on Tuesday (Dec 2).

Sarawak has not experienced floods so far during the current monsoon season.

Separately, Fatimah said the state government allocated RM295.5mil for monthly welfare assistance this year.

As of October, RM249.2mil had been distributed to 56,660 recipients.

"Starting this year, the Social Welfare Department has improved governance and efficiency by integrating the social welfare assistance management and Sarawak accounting systems.

"This has shortened the process of paying out the assistance from 14 days to only five days," she said.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

RM1.7mil gone in 120 seconds: Robbers took only two minutes to rob Genting goldsmith
Forest fire breaks out near MAIS building in Shah Alam
Putting the rapid in RTS Link: Commuters can clear immigration in seconds, claims project director
Merdeka convoys must prioritise road safety, say police
Police obtain several leads in Seri Tambun shooting case
Man nabbed over threatening Facebook post, sword seized
‘No idea why I was dropped’: Former 1MDB CEO denies striking deal to have name removed from US$5.64bil suit
Increase Budi Diesel quota to 500 litres for Sabahans, urges state PKR Youth
Appeals court upholds RM3.4mil order against former Mara Corp group CEO
Sarawak’s sovereign data platform to strengthen AI capabilities, says Abang Jo

Others Also Read