Sick haj pilgrims can reapply the following year


SHAH ALAM: Prospective pilgrims who fail to pass the health screening to perform the haj for the 1447H/2026 season, as required by the Saudi Arabian government, may reapply the following year if their health condition improves, says Datuk Dr Mohd Na’im Mokhtar.

The Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs) said so far, just 3% of 31,600 Malaysian pilgrims for 2026 have failed the health screening.

“If they fail for that particular year, it does not mean the opportunity is lost forever. If they make efforts to improve their health in the future, an offer letter will be issued once they are truly eligible.

“I believe the regulations introduced by the Saudi government were based on studies and the fact that chronic illnesses among pilgrims have contributed to a relatively high number of deaths during each haj season,” he told reporters after launching the National Madani Converts Convention (Kemudi) yesterday.

Mohd Na’im said Malaysia is committed to complying with the health requirements due to the recurring cases of heart-related deaths among Malaysian pilgrims each haj season.

He said for that purpose, Tabung Haji will work closely with the Health Ministry to strengthen the health screening system, as haj regulations are updated almost every year.

On Monday, the Saudi Ministry of Haj and Umrah announced the health requirements to be fulfilled for the 1447H/2026 haj season, including being free from infectious, serious or uncontrolled chronic diseases and being physically capable of performing haj independently.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Escaped Immigration detainees easily identifiable with bright green uniforms, shaved heads
Indonesian police arrest 72 people suspected of starting forest fires
Immigration truck crash: 'I have to be strong for my mother'
No guerrilla incursion into Kelantan following south Thai attacks, says GOF
Second boy found drowned, search operation in Keningau ends
Almost RM730mil spent on welfare aid for seniors, OKU, chronically ill this year
Sabah eyes promoting fishing as an international niche sports tourism product
Police issue 75 summonses, seize 31 bikes in anti-illegal racing ops on Second Link
Four nabbed, 3.4 tonnes of cooking oil seized in raid on smuggling ring in Terengganu
Pedestrian killed crossing SPRINT Highway near Damansara toll

Others Also Read