Grand parade on Oct 11 to mark Sarawak TYT's birthday


KUCHING: A grand parade will take place at Padang Merdeka here for Sarawak Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar's official birthday celebration on Saturday (Oct 11).

Featuring a march-past by 110 contingents and cultural performances, the parade will be the highlight of the celebration, which begins on Thursday (Oct 9) with thanksgiving prayers at Masjid Jamek here.

State Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Arts Minister Datuk Seri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said preparations were proceeding well for the parade.

"We had the third and final rehearsal today, and... everything went smoothly.

"The contingents, uniformed bodies and organising committee have done a good job in their preparations," he told reporters after the rehearsal on Thursday (Oct 9).

Karim said the celebration was a significant occasion to honour the Yang di-Pertua Negeri as Sarawak's top leader.

He said a series of events had been lined up this year, including thanksgiving ceremonies, a state banquet, a high tea reception and an investiture ceremony for the conferment of state honours.

A Konsert Rakyat will also be held at Padang Merdeka on Saturday evening, featuring local performers.

"Among all the major events in Sarawak, the Yang di-Pertua Negeri's birthday celebration is the most significant in terms of preparations and the people's involvement," Karim added.

Some 10,000 people are expected to take part in the parade, with contingents coming from uniformed bodies, government agencies, educational institutions and non-governmental organisations across Sarawak.

The Head of State will inspect a guard of honour at the start of the event, after which there will be a cake-cutting ceremony, a children's choir performance, and a video of birthday wishes.

The contingents will then march past the main stage, accompanied by the police band, followed by a cultural dance performance.

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Johor Immigration nabs 38 undocumented workers at eateries
Anwar gives full commitment to secure release of detained GSF 2.0 activists
Former lecturer loses over RM700,000 to phone scam
Perak to boost programmes to support mothers, says exco member
Man who sexually assaulted teen in Bukit Kemuning to be charged soon, say cops
Sabah to review laws to strengthen healthcare governance and autonomy, says state minister
Cops bust Setia Alam scam call centre targeting Iraqis
SNCC condemns Israeli violence against GSF 2.0 activists
Toll evaders, tailgaters get 2,122 letters of demand from highway concessionaire
Don’t exploit Rulers, race and religion for politics, says Selangor MB

Others Also Read