Govt to introduce new injury scheme to protect workers beyond office hours, says Anwar


KUALA LUMPUR: the government will table the Non-Workplace Accident Scheme (SKBBK) in Parliament soon to ensure workers are protected beyond office hours, says Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

"This stems from a realisation that the pressures of work do not stop at the factory gate or the office door.

"In an age of flexible and remote arrangements, this reform will align protection with the realities of how people live and work today.

"Crucially, it will extend coverage around the clock, recognising that accidents and injuries do not keep to a timetable," said the Prime Minister in his keynote speech at the World Social Security Forum 2025 here on Monday (Sept 29).

The SKBBK was announced by the Human Resources Ministry in February to ensure that all workers, including those in the gig economy and freelancers, will have social security protection outside working hours and on weekends.

Deputy Human Resources Minister Abdul Rahman Mohamad said there were 85,529 non-workplace accidents recorded last year.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Do you know ... about the bubu?
‘Hybrid tax won’t fix SST issues’
Penang hotels expecting higher occupancy rates
Teen vows to study harder after food delivery stint
More Malaysians picking local holidays
‘Do not court danger when saving strays’
Industry wants GST elements
Nightmare as family break turns deadly
‘Tax reform must not tie up working capital’
Hybrid taxation plan under review

Others Also Read