Two enforcement officers among eight nabbed in Kelantan over misappropriation of subsidised cooking oil


Kelantan Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry director Azman Ismail (right) inspecting the seized oil. - Photo: Bernama

KOTA BARU: Two enforcement officers were among eight individuals arrested, on suspicion of involvement in a syndicate embezzling 11,050kg of subsidised cooking oil, during an operation by the Kelantan branch of the Domestic Trade and Cost of Living Ministry (KPDN), in collaboration with the Region Three Marine Police Force (PPM), on Thursday (Sept 25).

State KPDN director Azman Ismail said that the two civil servants, aged 27 and 41 years old, from different departments in Rantau Panjang, were believed to have assisted the syndicate at the inspection counter, by facilitating the movement of vehicles carrying subsidised cooking oil across the border.

"These two enforcement officers were key to the syndicate's operations, as their roles enabled the illegal activities to continue without being detected by the authorities," he told reporters at the KPDN office here Friday (Sept 26).

In the same operation, the syndicate leader, identified as "Datuk John", 28, was also arrested. He is believed to be the mastermind behind the irregularities detected since 2023, and has prior records, including at least three other cases in Pasir Mas.

The total seizure was valued at RM482,225, consisting of cooking oil worth RM27,625, two lorries, a MPV and a four-wheel drive vehicle.

Azman said initial investigations found that the syndicate's modus operandi involved transferring boxes of cooking oil from the lorries into the Vellfire, before transporting them to the border. He did not rule out the possibility that the syndicate had a network in Thailand.

He said all eight individuals arrested had been remanded for four days, from today until Monday (Sept 29), to assist in the investigation.

"The case is being investigated under Section 21 of the Control of Supplies Act 1961, for possessing controlled goods, namely subsidised cooking oil, with intent to commit an offence," he added. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Selangor Sultan urges state govt to continue prioritising people's well-being
Illegal gold mining threatens lives, environment, says Kelantan MB
Smart campus tech framework to drive UKKM development, says Sim
Kota Baru man found dead in bathroom
GSF 2.0: All 428 activists released, Malaysians expected home on May 24
Royal decree should be viewed as guidance, not political interference, says Tengku Zafrul
Man found dead in pool of blood outside Pekan Nenas restaurant
Federal Highway motorcycle lane upgrade to be done in August
Gold mining tragedy in Jeli leaves pregnant mother of four widowed
Jakoa denies restricting entry of outsiders into Orang Asli villages

Others Also Read