Worker buried alive during excavation work in Seri Iskandar, Perak


IPOH: A man was killed after being buried in soil during excavation and pipe installation work at a river sand collection site in Kampung Teluk Kepayang, Bota Kiri, Seri Iskandar, on Sunday (Sept 7).

Perak Fire and Rescue Department acting assistant director of operations Shazlean Mohd Hanafiah said three other victims, who were local men, were rescued in the 5pm incident.

He said a team of firemen dispatched to the scene found three victims trapped in a sand pump while another victim was completely buried.

"According to witnesses, two workers saw the soil around the excavation area begin to collapse and fall into a drain they were digging.

"They also tried to help pull out the victims. The drain being excavated was estimated to be three metres deep," he said in a statement the same night.

He said three victims, aged between 28 and 38, were rescued at 6.30pm after being buried up to chest level. They were injured.

The fourth victim, who was fully buried, was confirmed dead at the scene.

The body of the 26-year-old victim was recovered at about 7.59pm and sent to Seri Iskandar Hospital for a post-mortem. - Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Woman dies in Sandakan house fire
Dead elephant discovered in Sabah forest reserve with head hacked off
Court to deliver verdict in former Sabah water dept director graft case today
Malaysia launches AP-UAP at World Urban Forum
Retired policeman found dead in Melaka home
Pipe burst in Butterworth disrupts water supply in Penang
722,151 travellers use Penang airport’s new autogate system since end of December last year
Signs of change on the streets
Aqasha to play role of Hang Tuah in musical
M’sia set for GDP growth

Others Also Read