Second post-mortem today


Cadet’s mum seeking clarity over conflicting reports

KAJANG: The second post-mortem on Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Reserve Officer Training Unit cadet Syamsul Haris Shamsudin will be conducted today at Hospital Kuala Lumpur.

The procedure follows the successful exhumation of the 22-year-old’s remains from the Kampung Rinching Ulu Muslim Cemetery in Semenyih yesterday, after a Shah Alam High Court order on Tuesday.

Lawyer Datuk Naran Singh, representing the victim’s family, said the exhumation began at 8.45am and concluded at 9.22am, with the body found to be in good condition.

“The actual post-mortem will begin at 9am tomorrow, as some procedures must first be completed. On behalf of the family, we are satisfied with how the exhumation was carried out,” he told reporters.

Naran said the ultimate goal of the exhumation and second post-mortem was to seek justice.

“For the post-mortem, I, the victim’s mother Ummu Haiman Bee Daulatgun, and forensic expert Datuk Seri Dr Bhupinder Singh will be allowed to observe the procedure,” he added.

Ummu Haiman expressed gratitude for the public’s support.

Thankful for public support: Ummu Haiman being consoled by relatives at the Kampung Rinching Ulu Muslim Cemetery in Semenyih, as the exhumation was being carried out. — Bernama
Thankful for public support: Ummu Haiman being consoled by relatives at the Kampung Rinching Ulu Muslim Cemetery in Semenyih, as the exhumation was being carried out. — Bernama

“The support in terms of motivation, energy and prayers has helped me continue this struggle.

“Alhamdulillah, the first process is complete and I am satisfied with it. The next step is the second post-mortem,” she said.

Naran also urged the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) to immediately conduct an inquest into Syamsul Haris’ death.

“I hope an inquest will now be made mandatory so that the truth can be established, just like in the case of Zara Qairina Mahathir,” he said, noting that a previous request to the AGC had gone unanswered.

He added that Syamsul Haris’ mother had been left distressed by conflicting reports, some claiming her son died of a seizure, while others alleged he was involved in a fight.

“Any mother would want clear answers,” said Naran.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail previously confirmed that police would facilitate the exhumation, monitor the post-mortem and oversee reburial.

“This is a serious process involving magistrates, medical teams, family members, police, doctors and related agencies. The police’s role is to ensure the court’s decision is carried out.”

Syamsul Haris died on July 28 at Hospital Kota Tinggi, a day after undergoing training at the Army Combat Training Centre in Ulu Tiram, Johor.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Over 1,000 displaced as floods worsen in Sabah’s north, Pitas emerges as worst-hit
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong
ROS refutes allegations of power abuse by MIPP
Cops on the hunt for duo who broke into Sitiawan mosque, stole from donation boxes
116 Bazaar Ramadan Rahmah to be held this year, says Fuziah
Malaysia looks forward to close cooperation with new Bangladesh leadership, says Anwar
More than a gimmick, 'roti pocong' a hit at Paroi Ramadan bazaar
Melaka assembly may dissolve in April, state poll expected in June
Plight of two families in Banting fire draws Anwar's attention

Others Also Read