Kajang Satay declared Selangor heritage food


Photo-Bernama

KAJANG: Kajang Satay was declared a Selangor State Heritage Food, among other efforts, to ensure this culinary treasure continues to be preserved, passed down from generation to generation, and becomes a source of culinary pride for the state.

Tengku Permaisuri Selangor Tengku Permaisuri Norashikin officiated at the declaration ceremony, in conjunction with "Karnival 1001 Rasa Sate Kajang 2025" held here on Saturday (Aug 23).

Meanwhile, Selangor State Housing and Culture Committee chairman Datuk Borhan Aman Shah, in his address, said that Kajang Satay was gazetted as a historical object under the Selangor Malay Customs and Heritage Corporation Enactment 2009 on July 31.

Bernamapic
Bernamapic

Kajang Satay refers to a dish that originated in Kajang around 1870. It was introduced by the late Tasnim Kasiban along with his brother Rono in 1917.

"Since then, this legacy has been passed down through the generations, becoming one of the gastronomic icons that has brought recognition to Kajang, Selangor and Malaysia," he said.

Borhan said that to ensure this treasure continues to be preserved, the state government, through the Selangor Malay Customs and Heritage Corporation (Padat), has conducted a thorough study through Cultural Mapping and Toponymy Studies, which confirmed that Kajang Satay has its own unique identity.

Bernamapic
Bernamapic

This satay differs from other satay through its larger meat cuts weighing around 22 to 24 grammes, complete servings with ketupat and vegetables, and grilling techniques passed down through the generations.

"It (Kajang satay) consists of three main elements: protein-based ingredients like marinated meat or chicken, skewered on bamboo sticks, grilled to perfection and served with rich peanut sauce and unique satay sambal," he said.

He also said that this gazetting was a recognition of the services of previous satay entrepreneurs, as well as new generation entrepreneurs who are committed to maintaining the authenticity of the taste and preparation techniques.

"Karnival 1001 Rasa Sate Kajang 2025", which began yesterday (Aug 22) and ends tomorrow (Aug 24), also features satay and local coffee vendors, providing an opportunity for local entrepreneurs to introduce their products to the public.

The programme, organised by the Kajang Municipal Council, in collaboration with Padat, Tourism Selangor and Selangor FM, also provides visitors with the opportunity to enjoy free satay distributed as early as 3 pm, in addition to various recreational activities for families and youth.

The initiative is described as an effort to promote local heritage products in conjunction with Visit Selangor Year 2025 and preparations for Visit Malaysia Year 2026, highlighting the concept of gastro-tourism or food-based tourism. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Man likely stabbed woman in neck because he was jilted, say Kedah cops
Tanjung Embang recommended as site for New Kuching International Airport
Labuan fishing vessel owners lodge police report over lorry arson, vandalism
Gold Li Holdings Bhd celebrates successful ACE Market entry
Almost 170 tonnes of frozen meat seized in Kajang
Kuching Urban Transportation System to start pilot run in Q4
Semiconductor supply chains stable despite disruptions, says Amir Hamzah
Boat carrying migrants sinks near Selangor; three missing
Alma residents worried by blackened water, dead fish at retention pond
Cameron flower growers’ woes to be looked into, says Mat Sabu

Others Also Read