KUANTAN: Police have completed their investigation into the death of 13-year-old Zara Qairina Mahathir, who was found unconscious in a drain near her school dormitory on July 16, says Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (pic).
The Home Minister said about 60 witnesses were interviewed in connection with the case.
ALSO READ: Bullying is not a rite of passage, say educators
“The investigation is complete. I expect the police will submit the papers to the Attorney General’s Chambers by next week at the latest,” he said when asked about developments in the case.
Saifuddin Nasution was speaking to reporters after launching the passing-out parade for the 12/2024 Maritime Junior Lieutenant Basic Course and the 18/2024 Maritime Class II Cadet Basic Course at the Sultan Ahmad Shah Maritime Academy (Amsas) here yesterday, Bernama reported.

Zara Qairina was pronounced dead at Hospital Queen Elizabeth I in Kota Kinabalu on July 17.
Her death sparked widespread reactions on social media after the case went viral.
Previously, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jauteh Dikun was reported to have said that investigations focused on two main aspects, namely the cause of death and the surrounding circumstances.
Separately, Saifuddin Nasution said the government remains committed to strengthening the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency’s (MMEA) operational capabilities, including through the construction of two additional offshore patrol vessels.
He said MMEA is also in the process of acquiring a decommissioned United States Coast Guard cutter, expected to arrive in November.
A total of 68 officers and 186 personnel completed 10 months of basic training and are now qualified to serve in the MMEA.
In Kota Kinabalu, Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Mohd Khalid Ismail urged the public to stop spreading negative and sensitive information regarding the bullying and death of Zara Qairina.
He asked the public to give space to the authorities in conveying information related to the case and avoid making any comments or speculation.
“We have handed over our findings to Bukit Aman to wrap things up,” he said during his maiden visit to Sabah here.
