Wisma Putra yet to receive nomination of Nick Adams as US ambassador to Malaysia


KUALA LUMPUR: The Foreign Ministry has yet to receive any notice from the United States on the nomination of Nick Adams as the country's ambassador to Malaysia, says Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

"As for Nick Adams, we've yet to receive any request or agreement from the United States. Let's wait and see how the request comes," he said when responding to a supplementary question raised by Abdul Latiff Abdul Rahman (PN-Kuala Krai) in Dewan Rakyat on Monday. (July 21).

"We haven't received anything – it's all just hearsay. If we reject it now, they might say, 'But we never even asked for it'. That would be embarrassing for us," he said.

Mohamad said once the appointment is confirmed, Wisma Putra would provide its view on the matter which would then be brought to Cabinet for a decision.

Recently, US President Donald Trump nominated Adams as the US ambassador to Malaysia.

The nomination has been criticised by both sides of the political divide, with many criticising his far-right views and vocal support of the Israeli regime.

His nomination by Trump will have to be approved by the US Senate first.

A staunch supporter of Israel, Adams had previously compared those who expressed solidarity with the Palestinian plight with those who support terrorism.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Pakatan forms three sub-committees to gear up Penang for GE16
PAS to meet before Aidiladha to deliberate continued Bersatu cooperation
Sabah PKR youth unfazed by exit of two division chiefs
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Bukit Aman to investigate those linked to discovery of prohibited items at Ipoh HQ lock-up
Police step up traffic management as Aidiladha exodus builds up in Gua Musang
MetMalaysia warns of thunderstorms in nine states until 7pm (May 24)
Raya exodus commences; traffic building up on several major expressways
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival

Others Also Read