Asean re-emphasises five-point consensus over election, says Tok Mat on Myanmar issues


KUALA LUMPUR: Myanmar’s plan to hold elections should not be a priority, says Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

He said that a ceasefire would be the most immediate action that should be taken by Myanmar, as emphasised in the five-point consensus.

“We advised Myanmar that the election is not the priority; ending atrocity and ensuring aid can be delivered are.

“If the election is held partially, there would be no point and would not solve the problems,” he told reporters after chairing the East Asia Summit (July 11) here.

Mohamad said that Myanmar acknowledged that it had been making efforts to impose a temporary ceasefire.

However, he added that Asean was aiming for the ceasefire to be permanent and expanded throughout the country.

“This was to make sure that the people of Myanmar can live their lives normally,” he said.

Previously, it was reported that Myanmar's State Administration Council chairman Senior General Min Aung Hlaing said that the election will be held during December this year and January next year.

Other points in the consensus were the need for constructive dialogue, appointment of special envoy and humanitarian assistance.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

DAP special congress is part of party's internal process, says Fahmi
Sabah flood: Number of victims increased to 3,768 people at noon
Prioritise welfare of police personnel, says Dr Wan Azizah
Traffic slows on major expressways as at noon
Building tech ecosystem to help Perak SMEs compete
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Body of drowned Chinese national found
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset

Others Also Read