Federal Court to deliver verdict on final appeal of six men convicted in DPP Kevin Morais murder tomorrow


PUTRAJAYA: The Federal Court will deliver its verdict tomorrow on the final appeal by six men who were convicted and sentenced to death for the 2015 murder of deputy public prosecutor (DPP) Datuk Anthony Kevin Morais.

The decision would be handed down by a three-member bench led by Chief Justice Tun Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat, sitting with Court of Appeal President Tan Sri Abang Iskandar Abang Hashim and Federal Court judge Datuk Rhodzariah Bujang.

The judges had reserved their judgment on May 14, after hearing submissions from the prosecution and defence.

Jasmine Cheong, one of the lawyers representing former pathologist Colonel Dr R. Kunaseegaran, told Bernama that the court notified the date for the decision this morning.

Kunaseegaran, 62, along with S. Ravi Chandran, 54, and four others - R. Dinishwaran, 33; A.K. Thinesh Kumar, 32; M. Vishwanath, 35; and S. Nimalan, 32 - were convicted by the Kuala Lumpur High Court in July 2020 for the murder of Morais, 55.

The Court of Appeal upheld the conviction in a ruling delivered on March 14 last year.

The murder took place at a location along Jalan Dutamas Raya Sentul and Jalan USJ 1/6D, Subang Jaya, between 7am and 8pm on Sept 4, 2015.

Morais was last seen leaving his Menara Duta condominium in Kuala Lumpur in a car to head to his office at the Attorney-General's Chambers in Putrajaya.

His body was found in a concrete-filled drum at Persiaran Subang Mewah, Subang Jaya, on Sept 16 of the same year. – Bernama

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

AUKU repeal to pave way for new higher education law
Bomba water bombing to fight Samunsan forest fires
Haze: 11 areas in S'wak record unhealthy API readings as of 3pm
Childcare centres in Sarawak to close immediately if API reaches 200
Car destroyed in fire after crash near Mid Valley
Veteran lawyer Chew Swee Yoke, pioneer of KL legal aid, passed away at 81
Jais to tighten religious school teachers' screening to ensure student safety
Foreign worker applications now fully online, says HR Ministry
Police seize phone of PAS chief Hadi Awang’s Facebook admin
Strengthen TVET to produce skilled, competitive workforce

Others Also Read