Boy injured in Bukit Rambai tragedy discharged


MELAKA: The 13-year-old boy who was seriously injured in the tragic double murder of his mother and brother in Bukit Rambai on June 12 has been discharged from Hospital Melaka.

Melaka Social Welfare Department's director Halyjah Muhammad said the teenager's condition has stabilised and he has recovered from his physical injuries.

"Since his admission on June 12, our officers from the welfare and counselling unit have been monitoring his condition and providing support, including assessing him for possible psychological trauma before his discharge on Thursday (June 19)," she said when asked about the teenager's condition on Friday (June 21).

Halyjah said the department found the teenager to be emotionally stable and not experiencing severe trauma.

"A relative who cared for him during his hospitalisation has expressed willingness to continue supporting him, which the department views as a positive step," she said.

Halyjah said the teenager’s uncle would now oversee his welfare and schooling arrangements in Selangor.

She added that the department visited the 17-year-old suspect currently in police custody following the fatal attack on their family.

"His physical and emotional condition is stable while receiving adequate meals and is being held separately from adult detainees.

"Regardless of the legal process, our role is to ensure the rights and welfare of a child in custody are safeguarded," she added.

On June 18, the teen suspect was charged at the Magistrate’s Court with two counts of alleged murder and one count of causing grievous bodily harm.

The incident occurred in the early hours of June 12 at the family’s home in Taman Rambai Mutiara in Bukit Rambai.

According to police, the suspect allegedly stabbed his 51-year-old mother, a primary school teacher, multiple times in her bedroom before turning the weapon on his 21-year-old brother, who tried to intervene.

Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene.

The youngest sibling, who was also attacked, survived the assault and was later hospitalised with serious injuries.

Melaka police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Dzulkhairi Mukhtar said preliminary investigations indicated that the suspect had been under significant emotional stress, allegedly stemming from academic pressure and strained family relations.

The suspect was reported to have been upset over repeated demands from his mother to perform well in his studies.

The investigation also revealed that the teenager allegedly purchased the knife days before the incident and initially claimed the attack was the result of a robbery, a claim later refuted through CCTV footage and his confession.

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
All four leaders expected to be at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
SAR op ongoing for missing angler in Pontian
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026
Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau

Others Also Read